Finding a flashlight in the dark ...glow?

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen two approaches to finding a flashlight in the dark:

(1) Make it glow or attach glow bands or paint with glow paint

Garrity makes a plastic body flashlight that is all "Glow in the dark". It doesn't glow very long and I've had mixed results with the paint too.

(2) Have the "bulb" or an LED glow and use some battery

I know the PALight does this and Eveready has a "Find Me" flashlight that has a little, blinking, red LED on the body of a regular incandescent flashlight.

What is your experience with the best solution for making your flashlight easy to find on the night stand or in a tent at night?

Ideally, I'd like to have a AA powered light (that leaves out the PALight and the D cell powered Eveready) that is easy to find. Got ideas?

...and, of course, I want it to be a LED light.

Skibane

Enlightened
ikendu said:
What is your experience with the best solution for making your flashlight easy to find on the night stand or in a tent at night?

A: Use another flashlight to find it. :D

(Seriously - that's what the "E" in EDC stands for!)

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS EDC or Arc4+ with tritium bezel. "it's the only way to be sure".
smile.gif

CFU

gnef

Enlightened
tritium is definitely the way to go, half life of about 12 years. as long as you aren't scared of the minimal radiation.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Other than tritium, you can also use glow in the dark materials. I have a "glow stick" made by LED_Candle and it works great. I sold glo-rings, which can be quite handy too; I just wish they made them with strontium aluminate. I'll be offering some high quality GID adhesive tape (glows at least 10 hours) early in 2007.

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the glow paint in bezel technique. That's half the fun of buying the flashlights!

When fully charged it can be used as a signal if the person you're signalling knows what to look for, since a lens or reflector focuses the glow like a cat's eye.

Scooterman

Newly Enlightened
Use glow powder mixed in with epoxy. The glow powder is great stuff!
I put it on my little dog's collar, so I don't step on him at night.
Scooterman

lukus

Enlightened
I took some tritium keyrings and turned them into smaller, compact keyrings that went on the lanyards of a couple of my lights. Surprising how bright they are in dark dark. And you don't have to charge them.

carrot

Flashaholic
Get a Fenix L1P and short the switch with a 50 ohm resistor (or something around that)... when off it'll have a very faint glow.

highorder

Enlightened
I have glow O rings around most of my lights. I charge them with UV before bed, and the glow all night.

Skibane

Enlightened
carrot said:
Get a Fenix L1P and short the switch with a 50 ohm resistor (or something around that)... when off it'll have a very faint glow.

I've done that to a couple of LED Turtlelights - Only it took a MUCH higher resistor value to dim 'em to an acceptable brightness (several hundred thousand ohms, IIRC). Measured current consumption was just a few dozen microamps. Works pretty well for direct-drive LED flashlights - but not so well for the ones that use an upconverter circuit.

rik

Newly Enlightened
in my 2AA cell maglight, I've got a Nite-Ize clicky tailcap. It also provides full/half/quater/slow flash/fast flash functionality. It also flashes a red LED in the tailcap once every 5 seconds.

carrot

Flashaholic
Skibane said:
I've done that to a couple of LED Turtlelights - Only it took a MUCH higher resistor value to dim 'em to an acceptable brightness (several hundred thousand ohms, IIRC). Measured current consumption was just a few dozen microamps. Works pretty well for direct-drive LED flashlights - but not so well for the ones that use an upconverter circuit.
I have tested it on my L1P. It works well, but the resistor doesn't quite fit in the tailcap very neatly. I think it is approaching the brightness of a PALight when "off."