Heat Pipe

Nocturnicus

Newly Enlightened
Hi, all,
Season's greetings from a long time reader, first time poster. I've got an old Eveready #108 "floating" spotlight, which I'm considering retrofitting with either Luxeons or Crees. Getting rid of heat will be an issue, though, especially since I'm planning to use as many LED's as I can fit into the lens opening, and driving them hard. Mounting them all to a good heat sink, and simply cutting some holes in the plastic housing for a couple of small CPU fans would work, but I'd like to preserve the watertight integrity of the light and hack it up as little as possible. One thought is to run a couple of heat pipes rearward, past the battery (there are two molded ridges which would allow internal clearance), exiting through sealed holes at the rear, and attaching to a heat sink mounted on the rear of the light. Anyone know where you can get heat pipe? I've done a bit of web searching; found manufacturers, but no distributors.

Thanks -

Nocturnicus

Newly Enlightened
Excellent! My thanks to you for pointing me to the thread, and to Newbie for his superbly thorough research. I'm looking forward to seeing what some enterprising CPFer might do with heat pipes, assuming I don't beat them to it. This stuff is just too cool not to be explored.

<regards>