AA Lithiums In Mini Maglite LEDs - Yay Or Nay?

lightUup

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I just picked up a 2AA Mini Maglite LED today and was just wondering if I can use AA lithiums in it?

Thanks!

-lightUup

faucon

Enlightened
lightUup said:
Hi,

I just picked up a 2AA Mini Maglite LED today and was just wondering if I can use AA lithiums in it?

Thanks!

-lightUup
No --- Maglite only recommends alkaline cells for this light.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used them without any problems. I also used NiMH without problems and I think that Mag does not recommend them either.

If you want to be safe, stick with the recommendations from Mag. Most people here don't seem to be the kind of people who stick with the manufacturers recommendations. For example, Surefire says that rechargeable batteries will void their warranty and that does not seem to disuade many including me from using them.

Good luck with your choice.

-Goatee

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tried 2 14500 3.7 v lith-ion batteries in my minimag LED and it would not turn on at all. Must have some overvoltage circuit protection. I have used the NIMH AA with no problem.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
:)> said:
Holy over-voltage Batman. That is 8.4 volts fresh off the charger for a light that is meant to take 3 volts:huh2:

-Goatee

I was willing to take the risk. Not too expensive of a light. Maybe one 14500 and a dummy AA cell would actually work.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
light_emitting_dude said:
I have tried 2 14500 3.7 v lith-ion batteries in my minimag LED and it would not turn on at all.

Holy over-voltage Batman. That is 8.4 volts fresh off the charger for a light that is meant to take 3 volts:huh2:

-Goatee

frasera

Newly Enlightened
flashlightreviews did nimh vs alkaline test in the mag led review, the mag actually ran longer on the nimh. the mini mag might be similar. i dunno about lithium