UV LED Flashlight and the Toothbrush

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering if this is a good idea or not. Since the toothbrush is a source of bacteria, I'm thinking that maybe shining a UV flashlight at the bristles from time to time would kill the little buggers. Any thoughts?

Flashlight Enthusiast
It takes high intensity UV radiation to kill bacterica. So if you have a powerful enough UV light with the right wavelength of light sure.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
So much for the UV torch idea. The other thing I was wondering; would cleaning the bristles with ordinary anti-bacterial soft soap do the job?

martonic

Enlightened
LowBat said:
So much for the UV torch idea. The other thing I was wondering; would cleaning the bristles with ordinary anti-bacterial soft soap do the job?

You can run it through a dishwasher. The very hot water takes care of business.

Mockingbird

Newly Enlightened
EngrPaul said:
Hydrogen Peroxide?

I bought a cheap plastic spray bottle and replaced the cap of a bottle
of hydrogen peroxide with the sprayer part. It fit perfectly. I just spray a little onto the brush.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alcohol is one of the most used steralizers out there. Just swish it around in a cup after you brush and rinse the brush off then but it away and let the acohol dry.

N162E

Enlightened
65535 said:
Alcohol is one of the most used steralizers out there. Just swish it around in a cup after you brush and rinse the brush off then but it away and let the acohol dry.
Use a little Scotch. That way you do not have to mess up the sink pouring it out.

dchao

Enlightened
UV is useless since it cannot penetrate the bristles and reaches down to the base where the bacteria grows.

Boiling hot water and microwave are both simple and easy to do.

Hellbore

Enlightened
OR try what I do and just don't worry about it.

Why do you care about the bacteria on your toothrush so much? I'm sure you have a lot more bacteria in other places. At least your mouth is better suited to handle it, you really should be worrying about keeping bacteria out of your eyes and nose if you want to keep from getting sick. Just my 2 cents, but then, I'm like the opposite of a germaphobe hehe...