P1D CE comparison beamshots

Somy Nex

Enlightened
Just got some beamshots taken tonight of the P1D CE. here it is compared to some of my other lights. Paremeters of all shots are the same, and can be found at the top of the main pages at http://www.pbase.com/somynex/corridor. Also some other lights which have passed through my hands are in those pages as well, all taken with the same settings.

Apparently a fire exit sign was added recently to the end of the corridor where i took those beamshots, but doesn't affect the actual area of illumination that much. i've added a new reference pic to show the effect of this exit sign.

Closeup beamshots on post #4 below.

Click on any pic below for a larger version.

Reference 1:

Reference 2, with exit sign:

P1D CE - medium (1xcr123):

P1D CE - high (1xcr123):

SF U2, 2xcr123:

Arcmania SFIII:

McGizmo HD45 WWOT 2xcr123:

Jetbeam Jet-I (14500):

Fire~FlyIII, Burst:

McLuxIII PD UX1K, 500mA high:

MrBulk Chameleon Ct5/Lvl5, standard head:

T-bin Orb Raw Ns, high:

Peak CPF Special / Rainier:

Fenix P1:

Last edited:

HowieG

Newly Enlightened
I vote for the P1D CE. It looks like it easily outshines all of the competition...

Somy Nex

Enlightened
Here are the closeup beamshots, on an exercise bike about 4m away. All settings are constant across all series of shots. Paremeters can be found here: http://www.pbase.com/somynex/060101 as well as beamshots of other lights. Click on any image for a larger version.

P1D CE Medium (CR123):

P1D CE High (CR123):

SF U2 (18650):

SFIII:

McGizmo HD45 WWOT High:

Jetbeam Jet-1 (14500):

Fire~FlyIII Burst:

McLuxIII PD UX1K 500mA High:

MrBulk Chameleon Ct3/Lvl5, Standard head:

Orb Raw Ns, high (T-bin):

Peak CPF Special / Rainier:

Fenix P1:

Last edited:

Somy Nex

Enlightened
Pumaman said:
great job as always :)
Cheers mate =) it's a pleasure taking these shots as I do get to play with my lights and my camera (both hobbies of mine) a bit while doing them :)

HowieG said:
I vote for the P1D CE. It looks like it easily outshines all of the competition...

i absolutely agree. the issues with the P1D CE are IMHO hugely overblown nitpicking. The "dark ring" can only be seen when you're about 2-3 ft away from a white wall and if you try do that in the dark, you'll achieve nothing apart from blinding yourself. I can't speak for all units, as fenix is a mass manufacturer, but the threads on *both* my P1D CE units are as good as any of my other lights, whatever their brand. In fact it is very similar to the FireFlyIII in that it is loose until the o-ring snaps in and tightens it up through resistance.

anyway, the shots speak for themselves (to me at any rate). the P1D CE is not just a winner, it has, with the help of the Cree XR-E, completely redrawn the boundaries of the finish line.

edit: one thing i'd like to add though is the tint of the Cree LEDs. it makes both the warm (U2) and cool (SFIII, HD45) Luxeons look completely one-dimensional. In fact the SFIII's tint, which is what is preferred by most white-wallers (and myself when I whitewall--i do it too), looks almost like it's a 2D black and white photograph, compared to the Crees.

Last edited:

nuggett

Enlightened
Thanks, those shots really tell the story. Need to put a CE on myn list.

arty

Enlightened
How does the beam compare with that of a Lux5, like a Surefire L4?

Skyline

Enlightened
Nice photos!

arty said:
How does the beam compare with that of a Lux5, like a Surefire L4?

The Surefire U2 is a Lux5. In the photos here, it makes the U2 look like pee-green.

I've also compared my P1D-CE against an L4, and the L4 looks to have an awful green tint (which it does). The L4 has a much wider focus with little throw and a nice donut hole.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
Cheers Nuggett, Skyline :)

Arty, the SF U2, ArcMania SFIII, and McGizmo HD45 are all LuxVs =)

The HD45 has an overachieving W-bin, while the ArcMania SFIII has a (similarly bright) handpicked WWOT. Both compare well with my SF U2, which is pretty green (I like to call it warm :D) but still relatively bright :)

Last edited:

arty

Enlightened
The PID/CE puts out an incredible amount of light. Rings do not appear to be an issue in real use.
Is heat a problem on high?
It looks blue in some of the photos. Is it obvious in use?
The color of the light does appear much better than the U2.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great job - I looked at the comparisons from your web page 'corridor beamshot' comparisons where I could see them all on one page. It's obvious there that the Fenix P1D CE is outshining about everything except the HID and some hotwires.

rscanady

Enlightened
The FFIII seems to hold up pretty well against the P1D-CE. I have always liked my FFIII very much and will continue to keep it and use it. (I also have a P1D-CE and Ti ION XT, with a Ti Draco Rocket on the way!)

Excellent beam shots, thank you.

Ryan

Whitelitee

Newly Enlightened
Great shots Somy, like always you have some of the best beamshot pics on here :) . I have a question tho, do both of your P1dce's have the same tint?

*Retired*
Skyline said:
Nice photos!

The Surefire U2 is a Lux5. In the photos here, it makes the U2 look like pee-green.

I've also compared my P1D-CE against an L4, and the L4 looks to have an awful green tint (which it does). The L4 has a much wider focus with little throw and a nice donut hole.

That green color is due to the X1 bin. If you prefer something white, you'd want to specifically demand WO/XO bins, with the XO being cooler, and the WO being warmer. Some feel the X1 bin is better for color rendering, but imho, it only serves to over-emphasize green vegitation at the expense of other items if interest. Normally I don't go looking for green vegitation with my flashlight. That is usually something I'd prefer *not* to see, as I don't go hunting for Rhodendrons, Dandelions, Fir trees, Ferns, and such.

Somy Nex

Very nice job on the beamshot comparisons in an urban environment.

I personally can't wait until they get the black Fenix P1D-CE in stock, so I can order one and check it out for myself in person, most especially after seeing your beamshot comparisons.

faucon

Enlightened
Skyline said:
Nice photos!

I love my new P1D-CE, but its tint appears actually very slightly greenish to the naked eye when compared with my U2 and L4, which both appear slightly on the blue side of the spectrum. My first L4 was on the green side, but not my newer Surefires. Of course, in actual use none of these tints are noticeable. Awesome new light.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
cheers everyone :) glad these are useful.

Arty, Whitelitee, Faucon, the tint of both my P1D CEs are actually very similar. it seems to contain a wider spectrum within its white than my luxeons. if you look at the shots, the red fire alarm on the left and the blue fire extinguishers both come out more vibrant in the beamshots.

the one i used to take the beamshots is very very slightly cooler, compared to the other one, which is very very slightly warmer. but there is no discernably warm or cool tint to them, and you can hardly tell them apart unless they are right next to each other. maybe i've been lucky, but the beam on both my P1D CEs are very white.

Rscanady, the FFIII is a great light and still is one of my favorite lights. though i did say the threads were similar, that was only refering to the looseness some were complaining about. but the nice copper heatsink/threads on the FFIII is way smoother than anything else i've ever held. just creamy. i saw that Ti Ion XT, i've always liked the Ions, and that one is particularly drool-worthy, but i just can't afford it right now :p maybe later... hope you will post some pics or a description of it once you get it :)

Newbie: i actually received 2 black P1D CEs, and i'd like one of them to be a natural. you wouldn't want to buy my P1D CE off me or make some sort of trade for a natural would you? :) send me a PM if so =)

sb0007

Newly Enlightened
wow! this is still one of the best comparsion shots. Thanks for the effort and dedication. :goodjob:

faucon

Enlightened
Somy Nex said:
Arty, Whitelitee, Faucon, the tint of both my P1D CEs are actually very similar. it seems to contain a wider spectrum within its white than my luxeons. if you look at the shots, the red fire alarm on the left and the blue fire extinguishers both come out more vibrant in the beamshots.
Thanks again, Somy Nex. I would say my P1D-CE is pretty close to neutral white. And you may be right about its having a wider spectrum of light. Colour rendition does seem truer than with my other LED lights.