I Need a New CR2 Light

MicroE

Enlightened
I recently lost my beloved pocket EDC, a Katokichi Ichishiki, so now I need a new pocketable light and I am looking for suggestions. I've been thinking about the CR2 Ion, but I thought that I would open a thread for suggestions. Here is my list of criteria:

1.) Pocketable: I prefer a light that is driven by a single CR2 lithium.
2.) White LED
3.) 40 lumens, minimum.
4.) Multiple brightness levels would be great, but not absolutely required.
5.) Under $200 US.
6.) Immediately available. I don't want to wait months for delivery.

I think that 123 lights are too big to bang around in the bottom of my pants pocket.
Thanks for any help.---Marc

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some ideas for you...

CR2 Ion with a cree XR-E upgrade. ($225...but wow! sweet light).

http://fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=34&osCsid=11dd1d682e636097ad409dae80886c6b

SS Exolion

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2416

Orb Raw NS

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2324

JCR2 IT

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/123082

Good luck with your search...horrible news about losing your previous light!
frown.gif

CFU

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The regular RAW uses a CR2, the NS doesn't. Both have an XR-E option that costs less than the Ion though. If you want something smaller consider a Draco/Rocket. I'm debating between that or the NS right now.

I'm considering selling my Maroon Ion, PM me if you decide to go that route.

FWIW

Last edited:

solaris

Newly Enlightened
I love my CR2, I highly recommend it, a perfect EDC (rugged, superbright, best quality). But if you are looking to stay below $200 then I highly suggest the Orb Raw with the XR-E upgrade.

solaris

Newly Enlightened
oops double post, damn dialup lag :/

Last edited:

LowTEC

Enlightened
I know you might be looking for something pricey, but I really love my Luxogen LR12 (a.k.a. smartfire from fifthunit). With RCR2, this little light is as bright if not brighter than my L2T. I've been EDCing the LR12 for awhile since it is quite small (smaller than J1L) and for the price <$20, you really can't lose. :laughing:

And what surpised me was the HA natural coating is actually way better than my Fenix's, both of my Fenix's seem like went thru a war with only mild use, but the LR12 didn't even have a scratch although I used it as my key chain light.

rscanady

Enlightened
+1 on the ION, I have 2 now. I also carry an ORB raw 2 stage that works well too, but the ION gets more pocket time.

For me the Draco is more of a keychain light than a pocket light, YMMV though.

MY KI gets some pocket time too.

There is always the Fenix line of lights?

Ryan

MicroE

Enlightened
What does the XR-E upgrade buy me on the CR2 Ion?
More lumens? Greater runtime? Better color rendition?
I'm willing to stretch the budget if there is a good reason to do it.
(O.K., I'm a flashlight nut and I'm willing to stretch the budget for almost no reason whatsoever.)---Marc

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a new Ti CR2 ION Cree and also have a Ti CR2 Ion and a Maroon, proto.

62507713-S.jpg

The original Ion is very "floody" and the corona is not very noticeable,on low or high.............I use low for reading and navigating when the house is completely dark. High is a nice flood beam that is perfect for many tasks.

The Cree Ion is (in my particular light) much whiter , much brighter on both levels, has a noticeable brighter corona with some artifacts ( if you are wall hunting). It is flood, yet much brighter and aformentioned corona. For an EDC light, it may be extremely useful on both levels. ( I will be interested in outside, daylight performance).

I may have time to compare beamshots, later, in week?

Merry Chritmas to all...........here are Ions with a TnC Keylux AA (red) and a CPF Peak Rainer.
62507699-M.jpg

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
MicroE said:
What does the XR-E upgrade buy me on the CR2 Ion?
More lumens? Greater runtime? Better color rendition?

Yes, Yes, don't know.

The regular Ion has a really floody beam. Great for indoor or close up stuff. The XR-E makes it hella-bright, and gives it a more conventional beam pattern.

speederino

Enlightened
+1 Concept...with both Ions in my hand, I think the beam profile of the original Ion is quite unique and is not replaced by the brightness of the XR-E. I'm glad I have both.

bray

Newly Enlightened
i keep hearing about this orb cree upgrade but where can one find it? or is it one you do yourself?

D-Dog

Enlightened
I love my Jil Intelli, as it puts out over 70 lumens with good throw if I need them or only a lumen or two, something that will not disrupt my night vision, on level one. Plus with 20 user-selectable modes and a bunch of other goodies, you can't really go wrong. Many will complain about the around 15 minuites runtime on high, however, I bought myself 4 recharagables and it has never become an issue. I use the included "case"/tube the light came with to carry two spares with me if I need them. Plus, even after almost a month of EDC, I have yet to mark the finish in any way. This being said, I did not at all take it easy on this light, as it was always in my pocket, somtimes with other items. All in all, I would rate this light very high.

Oh, dont want to forget, if you need a flood of light similar to the ion, just stick the intelli into the included tube and it transforms into a very nice area light ::)

MicroE

Enlightened
Thanks to all of you.
I just placed an order with David (fenix store) for a Titanium CR2 Ion.
It was a bit more $$ than I had planned on spending, but I almost always blow my budget on lights.
In a few days, I'll let you know how it works.---Marc