Will the P1D CE "rings" stall other Fenix lights coming to market?

Face

Enlightened
Hi,

Do you think that the current P1D CE "rings" issue is likely to have an impact on when we see other Fenix Cree lights coming to market?

I wonder if Fenix had several new models in the wings, all ready for a staggered launch, and are now having to re-assess things such as beam quality and other quality issues?

Just curious,

Merry Christmas,

Face

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think all they need to do is orange-peel their reflectors and the whining will stop.

*Retired*
One could go to the Seoul Semiconductor P4, but then you have issues with tint variation in the beam and the hotspot. Kind of like the Nichia Jupiter tint problems, but not as bad, but the off color portion is bracket on each side by a different tint, which helps bring it out more. Old Seoul parts had worse issues, and there was little consistency of the tint variation between devices off the same reel.

Rob Peter to pay Paul

But you still have problems with having to electrically isolate the slug, different die heights causing reflectors having to be modified, and platforms needed to raise the LED up, or you have to modify the flashlight body and reflector to accomodate things. Of course, you can re-design the electronics, and make the flashlight body positive, and put the batteries in backwards to fix some of these problems.

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still believe the "rings", which are most visible when white walling, bother people who are looking for perfect beams the most, do exist an are cause by the plate copper lens retaining ring. The plated copper even adds a slight golden tint to the circle.

To deny the existence of these rings is crazy. They are there.

They don't other me.
I wonder why? With all the brilliant minds here on the cpf, we o not have a definitive cause.

People may be "whining" but it is interesting that the answer has not materialized.

Strange.
Yaesumofo

SpiritLed

Newly Enlightened
Look at the tube that the emitter is mounted in.
(mine is a little off center, but it's not a $130 light)

It has a top surface that is in the shadow of the light produced by the LED, hence the shadow (ring).

Chamfer the ID of the tube to correspond roughly to the slope of the reflector and the shadow ring would disappear. (eliminate any non-illuminated surface)

edit: Probably easier to reduce the ID of the reflector at the small end to match the ID of the tube than to have what may be the LED die changed. Bottom line is to eliminate un-illuminated surfaces.

Might require moving the LED with reference to the reflector prevent a bright ring where the shadow used to be (poor transition).
In other words, check the geometry.

A stippled reflector would be nice too - also a proper tail clickie so the head won't get loose over time.

Engineering problem solved.

Yaesu.. was on the right track in another thread if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I sure hope it doesn't stall them for too long. So far I've held out for the AA or AAA versions. And, yes, I'll bet they have figured on a staggered release of the new products as they certainly seem to have done so far.

Geoff

Martini

Enlightened
Well, looking at Fenix-Store, it seems that the P1D-CE is selling well enough. Considering the fact that Fenix is getting $20 more for them than the Luxeon version, I doubt they're going to call it a failure. I think they may spend more time testing with eyes than instruments now, but I imagine we'll be seeing more XR-E lights very soon.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
What if the Cree has other problems? Perhaps it wouldn't be wise to put all their development effort into one light source.

If state of the art emitters are coming out to market in the Luxeon form factor, why go with something that is so oddball, optically speaking? (my opinion)

carrot

Flashaholic
It seems to me that Fenix is nimble enough to be able to adapt quickly enough to any upcoming LED sources... They certainly proved it with the Cree XRE...

Boomerang

Newly Enlightened
Face said:
Hi,

Do you think that the current P1D CE "rings" issue is likely to have an impact on when we see other Fenix Cree lights coming to market?

Until the Fenix folks officially post the P1D CE on their webpage, I personally have no doubt that I don't care what they do next.

Andy