2x Blue 1w Luxeons in car?

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to replace my puddle lights (under the side view mirrors) with 2 blue 1 watt luxeons on each side. I have 4 bare blue emmiters, so I was just going to use them. Some questions:

1) Should I wire them in parallel or series?
2) What resistor should I use?
3) Does the slug need to be insulated or can I just mount them straight onto the heat sink with thermal compound?

Thanks in advance!

frasera

Newly Enlightened
not sure if its legal, they may blind other drivers no?

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
frasera said:
not sure if its legal, they may blind other drivers no?
i see no issue with this. as long as they are off like they should be when ur driving then they are fine. Aux lights like that and step lights and interior lights are not DOT regulated unless used as running lights.

If i were you, i would run them in series so you dont have to burn off as much voltage. Also make sure you have a good metal backing. I would recomend white or reds though as the blue really wont help much as far as seeing, and the color may cause temp night blindness. slug does need to be insulated, run a thin layer or artic ceramic in there to insualte it. what level are u wanting to run them at to figure out the drive rate so we can help with the resistor.

frasera

Newly Enlightened
oh i misunderstood, thought u meant turn signal lights in the sideviews.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the quick replies! Just for those of you that don't know, the puddle lamps face down and there is one on each side view mirror. They only turn on when you unlock the car by remote or open the door and they stay on for a couple minutes to provide extra light around the car. They do not function while the car is in motion.

I think I have decided against using the luxeons, because it will probably be more work considering I have to heatsink them, and I would also have to put in some sort of optic. I've decided to make an array of regular 5mm LEDs. Specifically these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/50X-UltraBright...954QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320062439469

How many would I have to use in order to not use a resistor and would I wire them parallel or series? If I were using 16 (3 rows: 5-6-5) what resistor would I use? The specs of the LEDs are on the page. Thanks!

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
those leds sound like junk, they are 3 times brighter then nichia's of 18000mcds i think u should go with some superfluxes of somekind, but then u will need to make a breadboard... luxes will be easier... less sodering, and u just need a difuser

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
umm...

blue and UV light, is said to make your eyes grow cateract(i did not have my dictionary with me :p) when exposed to too much of them.

putting that in your car can be a death wish?