Using flashlight instead of camera flash

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like an appropriate thread for this group. I see a lot of photos (of flashlights, especially) here. Many of them are washed out from the auto flash from the camera, blurry, or out of focus.

When I take flashlight pics I like to use a mini tripod and use a flashlight to 'illuminate' the object. Most cameras stand up without a tripod, and most have a time delay so you have time to aim and set up your pic. After a couple of tries I figure out how much light is needed. Even P&S cameras have a 'fireworks' mode. Usually 2 secs w/o flash. That works great.

Moving the flashlight around during the exposure period accentuates the different contours of the object instead of washing out the front.

Taking a series of pics is good. Use the best one. Use the lowest ISO possible to reduce noise. Sometimes you HAVE to use macro mode to get the camera to aim up close.

Anyone else want to share their technique for getting decent pics?

x1red.jpg

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice! :goodjob:

In the Lumapower thread started by arewethereyetdad, I posted some pictures of the D-Mini. I illuminated a head-on bezel shot of the reflector and emitter using the spill of an Inova Radiant AA. :laughing:

I like your technique for lighting subjects evenly. I'll have to try it sometime.

sgtgeo

Newly Enlightened
Actually my new phone camera does this.

Sony W810i

When in camera/video mode i can turn on the LED's, When I hit the shutter they get brighter briefly but not in a "flash" kind of way

works great

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
i love digi cameras.... you can crank up the light sensitivity, mixed with longer exposures helps some.... they really need to come up with a night time mode on the cameras..... all it needs is an amp circut....

but for a good pic you need lots of ambient light in the macro mode... when taking pics of my bike work, i make sure i take them outside in shade from direct sunlight, but make sure i'm not blocking it either...

Last edited:

Bob_G

Enlightened
I don't know about decent, but it's interesting to see the differences light source makes.

This laying on a cabinet with a hotwire for main lighting

TB-A1_incan.jpg

This is the same with a LED for lighting (Icarus Tri-Lux)

TB-A1_led.jpg

And this is on a towel, in a fireplace log holder, with a bunch of white kitchen towels draped over it and 4 hotwires and an LED getting angry at it.

lightboxtest1a_021RR.jpg

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using my flashlights for most of my indoor close-up photos lately.
edc1.jpg

xavt-in-pouch.jpg

navy-saks-in-wallet.jpg

navy-saks-old-new.jpg

xr19c.jpg

blue-knives.jpg

farmers.jpg

On camera flash sucks for close-ups.
rescue-flash.jpg

A flashlight can be used for fill-in, to reduce the shadow.
rescue-flash-fill.jpg

Using flashlights, you can see what you are getting in terms of light and shadow.

Sometimes, the edge of the hotspot will fool you, though:
rescue-tool.jpg

A single flashlight, like the camera flash, can produce deep shadows:
edc1.jpg

Since we all have lots of flashlights, it is easy to light the subject from multiple
angles to reduce or eliminate shadows.
edc.jpg

cy

Flashaholic
do it all the time, that and other external light sources besides flash...
sometimes best pictures are done without a flash...

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Thinking about trying it tonight. What appears to be a Great Blue Heron seems to have decided to camp out in my backyard tonight. I wonder if it's hurt. Hope the coyotes or maybe raccoons don't decide to get it. It's been just standing there for a few hours now. I lit it up fairly well with my 3 watt Advanced Auto Parts LED, but I think I'd need the big spotlight for any kind of decent camera shot. Afraid to scare it off, and it's awful late now, might scare the neighbors.

Geoff

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget to adjust your exposure compensation when your image has lots of dark or light areas - like the photo of the lights on the towel above =) could have used 1/3 or 2/3+ exp. comp.

The photos look great though!

frasera

Newly Enlightened
mag led in candle mode? or bounce off the ceiling i guess, direct would be a no no