Thinking of using Arctic Silver on my M3!

InfidelCastro

Banned
The tailcap of my M3 is pretty dry and doesn't turn too easy now so I'm thinking I need some lube for it.

I'm not sure I want to get Nyogel 760G because it's flourescent and non-conductive according to lighthound. Some people have said it's a little bit too sticky also.

I have an old tube of Arctic Silver II I am considering using. It has conductive properties, but I'm not sure of its lubricating effects.

Any advice in this area is appreciated.

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
y not just normal thermal grease? AS will end up drying out, and becoming more of a mess.... or have you tried a graphite grease?

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought that Nyogel is conductive... I use it on my M3 light and it makes it buttery smooth.

-Goatee

quokked

Enlightened
Do NOT use arctic silver, it is slighty conductive due to the use of the silver particles in the paste but the paste eventually dries out.
There is also the issue of the serious amount of friction those little silver particles have too.

Arctic Silver was made to be a thermally conductive paste not for lubing of threads
If you are thinking of lubing the threads try something like a silicon based lube, don't use the oil based lubes like WD40 etc because they will eat your O-Ring for Christmas Lunch!

The nyogel 760g is one of your options
There is also Sandwiche Shoppe Krytox
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/index.php?cPath=48_80

Just PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT use Arctic Silver :)

HEY HEY ITS HENDO

Enlightened
i`m pleased you asked the question first ........

Contains 99.9% pure silver:
Arctic Silver 5 uses three unique shapes and sizes of pure silver particles to maximize particle-to-particle contact area and thermal transfer.

THIS IS ONLY THE PURITY OF THE SILVER CONTENT .....NOT THE PERCENTAGE OF SILVER CONTENT

Arctic Silver 5 contains over 88% thermally Conductive filler by weight. In addition to micronized silver, Arctic Silver 5 also contains sub-micron zinc oxide, aluminum oxide and boron nitride particles. These thermally-enhanced ceramic particles improve the compound's performance and long-term stability.

...aluminium oxide eewwwwww !!!

http://www.articsilver.com/as5.htm

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure about White Lightning. It is designed to flake off so that dirt and debris are not able to cling to your MTB chain. I doubt that it would hurt but it might not be the best option.

I have used Park brand grease and Schwinn brand grease to lubricate the o-rings on the Piston in my PD but this grease is too thick to use on the threads.

-Goatee

InfidelCastro

Banned
I never thought of the abrasive properties of the silver on aluminum contact, thanks for pointing that out, I spaced it out.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Okay, I bought the 50G (large tube) of 760G from Lighthound and cleaned and lubed my M3 and C3 the other day. Cleaned all the threads with toothpicks and gave a generous amount of lube on the threads (but not too much). I'm happy with the results.

Mad1

Enlightened
Arctic Silver is made for better heat transfer between CPU's and their heatsinks.

It's sets like a glue sort of thing depending on which Arctic Silver you are using.

It also contains metal fragments which would probably eat right through your o-rings over time, in short Arctic Silver is no lubricant.