My Modded Reflector Project

Buckfever

Newly Enlightened
Having fallen into the modding abyss and needing to develop a better understanding of the effects of different reflectors, Juancho suggested a cost efficient means of educating myself in that regard and even provided me with stock reflectors and instructed me to replicate certain reflector treatments using Krylon in a clear gloss finish. Now I'm not going to suggest in any way that these come close to capturing what a manufactured reflector will acheive, but for a $4 can of Krylon, some idea of what a particular lamp at a particular output likes can be discerned. But more importantly obtaining some understanding of how the various treatments manifest, can begin.

Here's what I would up with:
Mod1.jpg

First is the stock reflector with the smooth finish:
SMO.jpg

Next is the LOP effect which was accomplished, by spraying a fine mist from a distance:
LOP.jpg

Next is the LS effect which was accomplished by spraying a splatter of spray from a close distance:
LS.jpg

Finally the HS effect, accomplished with several coats of spraying a splatter of spray from a closer distance:
HS.jpg

Unfortunately my digital camera is not the best quality and doesn't come near to capturing the differences which are very dramatic to the human eye.

As a baseline I stared with a pic of my G2mod which is running a G&P high pressure G90 9V on 2 unprotected 3.7 volt 16340s:
G2GPg9023.jpg

The remaining shots are of the Mag 2C mod running a Magnum Star Xenon 5Cell on 2 AW 3.7V P18500s.

SMO:
SMOMagmod2C.jpg

LOP:
LOPMagmod2C.jpg

LS:
LSmagmod2C.jpg

HS:
HSMagmod2c.jpg

The effect of the LOP was probably the most curious, almost all flood, I think part of the problem is that the application creates a matte effect which seems to curtail the output.

The stippling was better than I thought and I'm sure that with a professional gloss application the output will be even more enhanced while smoothing things out.

I still like the SMO effect, but I don't see how you manage that without a cammed reflector at least with the Magnum star bulb.

I'll repeat this with the Low ROP that's coming and we'll see what that says.