Quantum Mechanics and Immortality

cy

Flashaholic
Quantum Mechanics and Immortality

"Quantum Mechanics is a curious area of study which began in the early 20th century when scientists began to discover that the theories of electromagnetism and Newtonian mechanics, which so elegantly describe the movements of normal objects, completely fell apart at extremely tiny atomic and subatomic scales. It soon became clear that a separate theory would be necessary to describe subatomic interactions, and thus Quantum Mechanics was born.

The theory of quantum mechanics describes a tiny realm completely foreign to the one we observe normally. At quantum levels, matter exists simultaneously as particles and as waves (wave-particle duality), a particle's position and momentum cannot be precisely known at the same time (Heisenberg uncertainty principle), and the state of two objects can be intertwined, regardless of the physical distance between them (quantum entanglement). Niels Bohr, one of the fathers of quantum mechanics, once said, "Anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood it."

The predictions of quantum mechanics have never been disproved in any experiments in over a century of development. It has been studied by brilliant minds including Albert Einstein and Richard Feynman, and though there is much disagreement about what it all means, there is little doubt that it is true. Some even think it provides us with a means to live forever.

Quantum mechanics is not in the business of exact predictions, rather it deals in probabilities when describing the position or momentum of a given particle at a certain time. This inexactness is not because the theory is incomplete, but because those qualities of a particle are inherently unpredictable with any precision; or to put it another way, because there seems to be some degree of randomness at play in the universe. Einstein was famously uncomfortable with this facet of quantum physics, asserting that "God does not play dice!" But despite spending a good deal of his life after 1925 trying to back up his assertion, he was never able to.

In 1957, a student named Hugh Everett suggested that perhaps the reason that a particle's outcome can't be predicted is not because of randomness, but because every possible outcome does occur. This idea led to the "many-worlds interpretation" (MWI) which postulates that at the quantum level, everything that can happen does happen, and that each possible outcome branches the universe into another which is at first identical aside from the alternate outcome. So the seemingly "random" outcome is actually just representative of the one possible outcome one's current universe happens to be based upon. The overlapping universes, between which no information can pass, would then continue to develop individually, each of them branching endlessly as well. Among physicists worldwide, this "multiverse" idea has become one of the most widely accepted interpretations of quantum physics.

Many WorldsOn a larger scale, MWI would mean that everything which can happen will happen in at least one universe."

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=212

manyworlds.JPG

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a prelude to string theory which attempts to explain everything within the 10 dimensions. The MWI you refer to begins at dimension 5 (and not necessarily at the quantum level). All very interesting stuff!

Summary of Dimensions:

Dimension ZERO = a point or singularity (undefined)
Dimension ONE = an infinite number of points making a line (length)
Dimension TWO = an infinite number of lines making a plane (length x width)
Dimension THREE = an infinite number of planes making up space (length x width x height)
Dimension FOUR = an infinite number of spaces making up a timeline (length x width x height x time). This is your single outcome in a universe.
Dimension FIVE = an infinite number of timelines making up a timeplane (LxWxHxT1xT2) This is your multiple outcomes in the same universe.
Dimension SIX = an infinite number of timeplanes making up timespace (LxWxHxT1xT2xT3). This is your multiple outcomes in multiple universes (but same Big Bang).
Dimension SEVEN = a point or singularity representing the entire Sixth Dimension. This point can be visualized as infinity (i.e. all possible outcomes from all possible timelines from all possible universes caused by the same initial conditions - i.e. the Big Bang).
Dimension EIGHT = an infinite number of infinities making up a line. Each infinity is a different set of initial conditions....a different Big Bang. Each Big Bang will have its own laws of physics...its own universal constants that are different from ours.
Dimension NINE = an infinite number of infinity lines making up an infinity plane. This one is a little harder to imagine or explain. It is essentially a fold in the Eighth dimension in a similar way that the Third dimension is a fold in the second dimension. This basically represents all possible infinities that exists on a plane of probability.
Dimension TEN = this dimension extends dimension NINE to include all possible infinities. This is the point where all possible timelines for all possible universes from all possible Big Bangs exists. It exists as a point. The ultimate infinity!

:huh2:

WP

Last edited:

Mednanu

Enlightened
But I think that un-named member from Spinal Tap would probably argue..."This one goes to eleven"

Last edited:

DrJ

Enlightened
You have already been immortal (several times) you just don't happen to remember anything about it....

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
I'm sorry, what were you saying ? I was too busy jumping back in time to catch it. Someone moved my Tardis.

Cliff

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find this very interesting, but also believe it is hogwash. Until modern science can do more than describe the lowly electron in only the most general terms - without having the foggiest notion of what it actually is - I put little faith in string theory, MWI and so forth. The same proponents of these theories also believe that once upon a time, there was no matter, energy, space or time, and that from this nothingness (singularity sounds better) the entire universe magically sprang into existence without cause.

These theories are mindbending and fun, and they should be followed to their conclusions, but they are after all just theories.

cheers

tdurand

Enlightened
We're all just living in the dirt under a giant's fingernail. Ya gotta love the fractal nature of time and space. I always find it fascinating to ponder the sense of scales. I like this series.
rmxEarthissmall.jpg

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
quantum mechanics also has the honor of being the most widely misquoted and misused and malused and abused theory in the history of theories. It is quoted by every crank that wants to sell you super quantum water and telling you to align your quantum wave functions by buying their specially adjusted magnetic bracelets and such a wonderful array of such powerful "woo" that it almost makes me hyperventilate from all the laughing.

String theory is in trouble, which is a shame cause I think they are on to something, but in all it's time with people working on it, it has yet to actually predict anything testable. There is a certain backlash against it academically now that people are wasting their efforts there. We'll have to wait a bit and see how that washes out :)

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
I brought my car to a quantum mechanic....... he fixed it and told me the next time I hit 88 MPH I was in for some serious s**t.
Cliff

David_Campen

Enlightened
String theory is in trouble, which is a shame cause I think they are on to something, but in all it's time with people working on it, it has yet to actually predict anything testable. There is a certain backlash against it academically now that people are wasting their efforts there. We'll have to wait a bit and see how that washes out
People keep working on it I guess because currently it is the only viable hope for unifying quantum theory with relativity.

But, yes, the days of using particle accelerators to verify theory seem to be over. No particle accelerator built on earth could provide energies sufficient for testing string theory.

I recently read an article by some guy who wants to build large baseline gravitational wave detectors using laser interferometry between satellites. He was holding out the hope that gravitational wave observations may be able to test some predictions of string theory. One effect was something about gravitational waves being focused by strings somewhat in the same way that light can be focused by a gravitational field.

LA OZ

Enlightened
This is all very interesting. I may be billionaire in another multiverse or starve to death. Can you tell me how to connect to my other ..verse?

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw a funny quote: Theology deals with abstract mysteries that will never be proven by science. Therefore string theory is theology.

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
LA OZ said:
This is all very interesting. I may be billionaire in another multiverse or starve to death. Can you tell me how to connect to my other ..verse?

Yeah....pretty simple. You just need to figure out a way to fold space-time and then keep folding for a few more dimensions (give or take).

Just kidding. Hey, who's to say that you AREN'T living your other lives in the other universes? The feable human mind can only perceive the life you are living now....just as your otherselves' feable minds can only perceive the lives they are living. But you guys are all living your lives at once (simultaneously....as if there's such a thing as a "progression in time").

By the way, here's an interesting question: Is there such a thing as "progression in time"? Do you actually think time is moving forward? Or is it just human perception? Have you ever closed your eyes for just a minute only to wake up 2 hours ahead? Where did the time go?

If time progression is just a perception, then life and death are just points along a line. Which one came first? Well, that's irrelevant....

Theoretically speaking, of course...... :grin2:

WP

Last edited: