LED not as bright as Incandescent?

greenstuffs

Banned
Sorry if this has been brought up before but i'm am unable to use the search function.
I have a surefire E2E rated 60 Lumens and a surefire L2 rated 100 lumens and it seems to my eyes that the E2E is brighter. Am I missing something here?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fresh batteries. And depending on what you are shining at (white wall?) you may notice that the LED will through farther with a more useable light.

greenstuffs

Banned
Yes i'm using Fresh surefire batteries. But when i look to the beam (from a distance of 10 ft) to my eyes the incandescent is brighter.
65535 said:
Fresh batteries. And depending on what you are shining at (white wall?) you may notice that the LED will through farther with a more useable light.

NAW

Enlightened
The lumens of the L2 are flooded out, while the E2E has a more focused beam.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello greenstuffs and welcome to CPF:)

The word :brightness is subjective. There is a difference between overall output and the ability to throw. The E2e has less overall output but more throw so it's brighter at the focussed point of the beam but less photons will ermit at all.
Take a look to FLR. There is a good explanation about this phenomene.

Best regards

____
Tom

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
+1 Outdoors Fanatic - Improved color rendition / more useful light stated another way, means that your eyes can see better with a fuller color spectrum, so you can see well with less light. LED light is very non-uniform in frequency and is a bit unnatural for your eyes to interpret. It actually takes more light to discern an object at a distance without the full spectrum. This is why incandescents are still well loved.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the distance of the throw that you are comparing?

incandescents usually throw farther than LED's unless the LED is designed for throw such as the new Lumapower D-Mini. If you are comparing up close, then I say you have a defective L2 or as suggested as a joke is it on low.

greenstuffs said:
Sorry if this has been brought up before but i'm am unable to use the search function.
I have a surefire E2E rated 60 Lumens and a surefire L2 rated 100 lumens and it seems to my eyes that the E2E is brighter. Am I missing something here?