Glass types and a "what is this"? (what is this has been solved)

rik

Newly Enlightened
I have managed to scratch up my AA mini-m@glight lens something good, so I'm contemplating replacing it. Lighthound has both UCL glass and mineral glass. What's the difference (aside from price)? Why would I choose one over the other? What does one do that the other doesn't?

And the "what is this?" as promised - Lighthound also sell this. What is it? Does it take Surefire bezels, and if so, for what series of bezel? What's the point?

[EDIT: Oh.. it's just an O-ring. Fair enough! ]

Last edited:

BBL

Enlightened
Re: Glass types and a "what is this"?

rik said:
And the "what is this?" as promised - Lighthound also sell this. What is it? Does it take Surefire bezels, and if so, for what series of bezel? What's the point?
with this url, i got this:
"O-Ring - SureFire MiniMag Bezel - Brand new replacement Bezel O-Ring for MiniMag®. "
are you sure that is what you meant?

honestly, i dont think ucl or mineral glas makes any practical difference...

rik

Newly Enlightened

that is what i meant. i have no idea what the product is or does from that decription.

Vickers

Enlightened

It is a replacement for the original o-ring found in the ubiquitous 2AA MiniMag.

As for the glass differences, I'm eager to read some responses about those, too.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

It Is an O ring. Remember the first time SHUTTLE BLEW UP?

It was caused by the failure of one of those. A large one.
Look up o-ring on the wikipegia for a complete euacation.

The UCL ...Ultra clear lens is just that. ultra clear. By nature it lets more light through.
The mineral glass may be harder material making it better for heavy duty installations.
The ucl would be used when maximum light transmission is required.
Yaesumofo

majr

Newly Enlightened

Its just an o ring for a stock mini mag.. The word surefire at the top of the page i doubt should be there.

rik

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all for the help with the O-ring. The more I re-read it, the more it makes sense that it is just a replacement O-ring.

So, UCL is ultra-clear, but is is more easily scratched than mineral glass?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep its also a bit mroe expensive. But the mineral glass is good for just about anythign I doubt you will notice the difference with most lights unless extremely low powered.

*Retired*
The mineral glass is pretty durable, more so than UCL.

Unfortunately, nothing comes for free.

Mineral glass will typically cause 20% loss in the amount of light due to it's very high index of refraction.

A really nice option that is harder to get is UCL with AR coating. You can also get mineral glass (sapphire) with AR coating, but it is even less common. The AR coating on both sides greatly reduces losses by index matching the glass to the air.