BOB's and USMK's

guncollector

Enlightened
BOB\'s and USMK\'s

Time is now to prepare for the unthinkable. All this talk of terrorism, earthquakes, blackouts, etc. ...

That being said, two questions:

1. Do you have a Bugout Bag(s) packed? What's in them?

2. Do you have a USMK packed?

For those unaware, the following may one day be of great assistance to you (note: previously posted in Bladeforums, Drearic, and other preparedness websites).

The Urban Survival Mini-Kit: One Approach (v.2.0)
by Ron /GunCollector

In our day-to-day lives disasters big and small lurk around every corner. They range in size from "small disasters" like a dreaded dent on your parked car, to the horrific and tragic example of our most recent terrorist attacks of "9/11". Filling the range in between, you have earthquakes, tornados, floods, riots, power-grid failures (whether blackouts or brownouts), etc. The list is nearly endless.

While generally speaking, our society at large has "emergency systems" in place for disasters; experience has shown that quite often there is insufficient material support and/or services. The inability to rely on government emergency services and the unpredictable nature of events, both natural and man-made, therefore requires the prudent person to be prepared for himself!

These required preparations, like the disasters themselves, will come in range of sizes. The larger preparations may be akin to stocking your home with food, water, and medical supplies. Intermediate preparations, for example, may take the form of a "Bugout Bag" in your home and office, or in the car.

This article is about a "small" preparation, with "big" potential for comfort in times of duress--maybe even lifesaving potential.

I term it The Urban Survival Mini-Kit (USMK) . The USMK measures a scant 3.5"x2.4"x0.9" (96mmx60mmx21mm), and weights only 4.5 ozs. It can easily be slipped into a breifcase, pocket, or purse, and remain there nearly unnoticed until time of need.

usmk-cls.jpg

Besides being inexpensive, the USMK is also very simple to to assemble. This makes is practical--mandatory--to make one for every member of the family, friends, and/or relatives. What better way to say "I care", than to provide them with this condensed form of preparedness. If you shop carefully, the entire kit itself can be assembled for less than $40.00--the cost of one night out to dinner for family of 3. Making multiple kits, as most families should, will lower the per unit cost even more.

The container itself is an Altoids Mints tin--which you most certainly can find at any convenience market or grocery store. Undoubtedly, there are other suitable "tins", but this one seems to me to be the perfect size to carry with you everywhere--a nice byproduct of Altoid's packaging and marketing research dollars. Most of the contents you may already have around the house, or are available to you at the local sundries store. Some of the space-saving wonders, like the Photon Micro-light II LED light will require a small investment of time and money to procure.

So, without further ado, let's examine the contents:

usmk-lay.jpg

- 2 Anti-bacterial wipes
- 1 Large Bandaid
- 4 Standard size Bandaids
- 8 Ibuprofen, 200mg
- 1 Pencil stub
- 4 Sheets, Notepaper (waterproof), cut down to 2"x2" ("Rite in the Rain" brand)
- 1 Cheatsheat on notepaper (with important tel, acct, and Calling Card numbers)
- 1 Lighter, butane (Bic mini)
- 12 Matches & Striker (waterproof)
- 12 Safety Pins, assorted
- 12 ft. Light twine (orange safety color)
- 1 Compass, watchband-size (Brunton)
- 1 Jig Saw blade, serrated, metal-cutting
- 1 Jig Saw blade, non-serrated, leather/plastic-cutting
- 1 Swiss Army Knife, keychain-size
- 1 Photon Micro-light II LED light
- 2 Candles, birthday (relighting)
- 1 Sewing kit, 6 needles & thread
- 8 Water Purification Tablets (enough for 8 qt. of water)
- 1 Condom (for water storage)
- 1 Moleskin, 1"x2" patch
- 2 ft.L x 1/2"W Duct tape (not shown), taped to perimeter of tin
- 2 Rubberband (cutdown inner tube, securing tin shut)

Unbelievably, all these items fit into the aforementioned tin. Also, you may note that I personally included a listing of the contents pasted to the cover of the USMK. This keeps me from having to remember or guess what's inside six months after I packed it; and from having to take everything out to do an inventory.

Packing all the above is a bit tricky, but after a few attempts you will see that it is not impossible. All the flat items are at the bottom of the tin. Everything else is put in "where it fits".

Also, as picture above, I use the Ranger Rubberbands to generally secure the tin shut. I also will wrap a strip of either electrical tape or more duct tape around the perimeter of the tin to waterproof the entire USMK.

usmk-pac.jpg

With this USMK in tow, I have much potential in a tiny package.

In an emergency with it alone, I have my important telephone numbers and account information at my fingertips--including the all-important calling card # and passcode. I have access to waterproof paper to make notes to myself, or leave notes for others (using also a strip of the duct tape). In the case of an auto breakdown, I can orient myself (and possibly rescuers on a cellphone) in bad weather and unfamiliar areas with the use of the mini-compass. I can administer some minor first aid for cuts and bruises, and even have some painkiller handy. I can start a fire, if necessary, for heat, signalling, or to simply light a cigarette to calm nerves. I can store and treat water using the enclosed condom and water purification tablets. I can cut an endless array of objects using either the mini-Swiss Army Knife or enclosed jig saw blades. The light twine can assist in building shelter, or securing objects.

One thing to keep in mind, this kit is oriented to "Urban" (even "Surburban" or "Rural") scenarios, BUT it DOES NOT contain the same items were I to trek into the true wilderness.

You can, of course, substitute items in your own USMK to suit your specific climate or geography. What I have listed should simply serve as a guideline for you.

Don't forget to slip in a few folded $20 dollar bills! They might just get your out of a fiduciary jam.

One final note, this USMK is not intended to supplant your need to prepare a "Bugout Bag" or make other disaster preparations. It is simply a "hedge" to provide oneself some means of support in an emergency when separated from other supplies and/or support. It's small size and light weight makes carrying it everywhere simple. After all, we know not around which corner disaster lurks.

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
Re: BOB\'s and USMK\'s

GC... Nice post! I like the kit you put together, nice attention to details and good selection of items with the "Urban slant".

I have always been a camper/backpacker and loved the outdoors. I have been in situations in regular life where I wished I had some of my "Gear". After a few unpleasant experiences during ice storms, power outages, and tornados, I swore that I would be prepared. Even as a poor college student, I slowly gathered up "Gear". My friends and I used to talk about emergency situations that threatened or disrupted society and what to do. It became sort of an ongoing study.

These days we have terms like BOB and NBC attacks, very spooky stuff indeed. To me it is an extension of the old scout addage of always be prepared. NOTE- The members of this DB at lease have lights and batteries.

Back on topic, I carry a CamelBak Blowfish pack with my basic "Gear" every day. The bag itself has a large water bladder with hose and bite valve. In the pack I have what I consider to be the basics to get me home in the event of "trouble".

I have the lighting group - M3, spare carrier/bulb, UK 2 AAA/w red diode head, and Petzel Zippka with case.

Fire group - Zippo w/case, mini Bic, small zip lock bag drier lint as tinder, and 2 tea light candles in foil.

Shelter group - emergency or space blanket and 30' paracord.

Tool group - Leatherman Juice CS4, Large Sebenza, SOG cross cut?, knife sharpner, Silva type 27 compass, Garmin ETREX Vista, dental floss, saftey pins of different sizes, rubber bands, 4' Duct tape wrapped on golf pencil, space pen and calander book of data, and whistle.

Personal Maintenance group - fleece hat and gloves (winter), Antibacterial wipes, chap sitck, GU energy gell, jerky, Alieve, Tums, vitamines, Listerene pocket pack, sun glasses w/cleaning cloth, nail clipper and file.

Misc items - money in both paper form and film can filled with quarters (In a city/suburb situation the change for pay phones is necessary),and small can lock de-icer for winter.

I have worked on this pack for years and it has evolved as I percieved my needs to change. I live 26 miles from my office and the distance is a concern. I designed my pack to be light and compliment the stuff I have on my person. I carry an ARC "AAA", E2e HA, cell phone, Leatherman Squirt P4 and wallet at all times. My thought is that if I had to I could walk home. It may take a while but I know I could get there. All I have to do is fill the hydration bladder in the pack and go.

With the cold weather comming I added things to the Jeep like a bag with a gortex shell set, boots, blanket, etc. This bolsters the usual Jeep stuff like the first aid kit and such.

I don't wish to run off topic at this point, but need to ask a question to think about. If there was trouble, and it was really bad, do you really think that you could get out of the city/suburb? I ask this because the real issue, as I see it, is to Bug In. I live in an area where I know that there is no way I could get out of the city/suburb during an emergency. Not without advance warning. The roads/highways would become clogged for days on end with over a million other people trying to flee as well. It would leave all those people stuck on the road with only what they threw in their cars/trucks/SUV. I don't know about you, but I have more stuff and options at home. What do you think?

P.S. I appologize if this rambles a bit. I am at work now and its hard to concentrate.

Monsters_Inc

Banned

What about packing some dried food rations as well? Not to bulk it up too much, but even a small pack of peanuts or something might save you from starvation.

guncollector

Enlightened

Gone Jeepin, thanks.
wink.gif

Onyx, I don't include food provisions for a reason (see below). Also, IMO, clean water is going to be 10x's more important than food. And at 8 lb.'s/gallon, it becomes altogether a concern of its own.

Here's the companion article to the USMK write-up above, entitled:

3-Layered Urban Survival Kit approach

I have a 3-Layered Urban Survival Kit approach.

'Why 3 layers', you ask?

Well, my job doesn't permit me to carry my ALICE pack of UrbSurv gear with me everywhere I go. And, I'd be willing to wager a good percentage of you couldn't carry one with you everywhere either. And even if you could carry your kit with you (i.e. in your car, truck), you wouldn't be carrying it with you into a restaurant, bank, or business appointment--thus having no immediate accessibility to your kit.

So, I hedge my survivability odds with a 3-layered approach as follows:

Layer 1) ALWAYS on my person
Layer 2) ALWAYS accessible (i.e., within "easy" reach)
Layer 3) OPTIMALLY accessible (i.e., available to me in best-case scenario)

So, to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

Layer 1: ALWAYS on my person
- bandana
- cell phone
- folding knife (emerson cqc-7a)
- glowring (on keychain) (by traser, 10 year radiance, and enough light to read by in pitch dark)
- info "cheat sheet": bank acct numbers, important tel. numbers, insurance acct./tel. info, etc.)
- money (plenty of cash)/ID/credit cards
- phone card, pre-paid
- photon-II micro light (on keychain)
- sas compass (in wallet, fully functional and only 5mm wide, 15mm diameter!)

Layer 2: always accessible (i.e. "within easy reach"; in my briefcase, coat pocket, etc.)
- ham radio ht (yaesu vx-5r with spare li-batt & aa-batt)
- multi-tool (leatherman wave)
- Urban Survival Mini Kit (in altoids tin as container for following)
. butane lighter (bic mini)
. condom (for water storage)
. bandaids (9 assorted sizes)
. duct tape (2"x3" taped to outside, 10 ft. 1/2" strip "sealing" the tin around the perimeter)
. iodine sterilization pads (4 pc.)
. iodine water tablets (6 pc.)
. jig saw blade, high carbon (3" section)
. internal strands from paracord (5 - 7-ft. lengths)
. matches, waterproof (with striker) (7 pc.)
. paper (waterproof) (3 3"x5" pg.) & pencil
. reflective mylar (from kiddie balloon, taped to inside lid of
. tin top for use as signal mirror)

Layer 3: optimally accessible
- This is the "full" Urban Survival Kit, or Bugout Bag (commonly referred to as a BoB), that everyone should have at their ready--whether at home or in the office (ideally multiple, redundant units of such). I don't want to start another thread on this well-covered topic; but a search under "Bugout Bag" or "Urban Survival Kit" will turn up dozens, if not hundreds of hits.

Hope that helps! Stay Safe! And Be Prepared!

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

For the home I have a 750 watt inverter with a large deep cycle battery (seeing this post reminded me to charge the batt). It easily runs my TV, laptop computer, heater (small fan type on 500 watt setting), floresant lights at the same time. It does not run my window airconditioner, microwave or stove. And should the batt get low it can be charged off my car.

The back of my refridge is packed with 1 gallon water jugs, for two reason. One is that I read that by packing unused space with them, it helps lower the electric use a little as every time you open the fridge the cold runs out...the jugs help reduce this effect. The second is for emergancy use and to keep food cool longer in a outage.

I have a small gas stove for cooking and a portable (outside) fireplace (used at least once a week during the cooler months, I enjoy drinking beer and staring at it).

I would like to have a solar hot water panel but for now thats just a dream.

Ken

Lighthouse

Enlightened

guncollector,

Nicely worded and well done! We can tell you've been paying attention at Equipped to Survive!

For those CPF's interested in pursuing more information on BOB's & USMK's, please check out the excellent Equipped To Survive website, located at www.Equipped.org

This is a well put together and nicely run, non profit (IRS qualified) site that is owned and operated by renouned survival journalist, Doug Ritter.

It covers virtually everything regarding survival skills, equipment, including VERY UNBIASED TESTING of available survival equipment and materials.

This site is VERY CIVIL and is not a doomsday type site, it is geared rather to the more frequently anticipated types of "survival" type situations such as guncollector has shared.

They have two forums, one called "The Survival Forum", primarily regarsding survival skills & equipment, as well as one called "Around The Campfire", which very similar to the CPF "Cafe".

I've spend many educational hours perusing their extensive archive of threads.

Disclamer, I have no vested interest in the site, just wanted to share a great resource with CPF'rs.

Hmmm ... seems to me that Doug has attend previous Shot Shows, perhaps he'll be at 2003? I'll ask.

Regards,
Lighthouse

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice post and alot of thought in it. I'm an ex-ham myself, and more aware of disasters and such, as a result. Since I am home almost all month, I don't actually need to have a BoB packed, though I have the makings for one handy.

Having the convenience of home, plus the fact that my income is monthly, I buy my food for an entire month at a time. I always try to have 2 months of food on hand, though the 2nd month's is backup stuff, like Ramen noodles. I also have several boxes of Powerbars for emergencies.

As for a forced evacuation, the Authorities are far more likely to just shoot me between the eyes.

Other than that, I still need to build up my battery supply.

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened

Lighthouse, I am glad you mentioned the Equipped to Survive site. I was thinking about that and wanted to make sure the CPF membership was alerted to the site. I like the site and Mr. Ritter's appraoch as well.
smile.gif

Lighthouse

Enlightened

Gone Jeepin,

Always happy to "put in a good word" for deserving sites such as CPF / ETS / LedMuseum.

It's amazing how much good information is available on these sites, and how polite they are.

Although I lurk on several others, generally I've declined to post due to the high "vitriolic" content of some. The old adage that "one is known by the company one keeps" continues to ring true.

Do you post on ETS? It seems that there are several of us that frequent both CPF and ETS.

Regards,
LH

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can these kits be purchased and if so which ones are the best and where can you get them.
Thanks
JT

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened

Lighthouse, no I don't post there. I have just been reading and learning. I guess I should register and get involved.
grin.gif

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened

jtivat, why don't you build a kit for yourself? It is fun to plan the list of items for the kit and then work on getting it all together. Kind of like planning your next few flashlight purchases. You also get to custom taylor each item to your preferences. A good example could be selecting a Leatherman Squirt P4 vs SOG Crosscut vs mini SAK. Have fun with the project.
smile.gif

Besides, you get to eat the candies in the tin first...
icon15.gif
icon15.gif
icon15.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

If this is off topic, feel free to ignore me
wink.gif

Just how mandatory is a mandatory evacuation? If I'm on the east coast and they mandatorily evacuate everyone for a potential hurricane, do I just not answer the door if I don't want to go?

My only experience with this led to people stranded only 10 miles or so further down the highway and it would have been better to stay at home.

Thanks,
James

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

HARRY TRUMAN (not to be confused with the President) was the guy who refused to leave when "told" to, just before Mt. St. Helens erupted...he's no longer with us because of that decision. The lake (Spirit Lake?) was completely obliterated along Harry and his dogs!

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

Originally posted by guncollector:
Time is now to prepare for the unthinkable. All this talk of terrorism, earthquakes, blackouts, etc. ...

That being said, two questions:

1. Do you have a Bugout Bag(s) packed? What's in them?

2. Do you have a USMK packed?

...snip....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">guncollector - Here is my take - based on your's - slightly different

EDIT - Fixed typo in link

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast

Charles, that's a very comprehensive set-up you have there.

Kirk

Enlightened

Wal-Mart (of all places) has a pretty good basic "survival kit" made by Coghlan's (UPC# 56389 09480). It's bigger than guncollector's, but it is inexpensive ($13) and has pretty good quality items. I got some of these to throw in the cars. It is contained in a heavy-duty plastic bag with a fold-over Velcro closure. It's got matches, firestarters, a chemical lightstick, a poncho, needle and thread, wire, fishing line and hooks, first aid items, rope, fluorescent orange "trail tape", etc. It's made more for "wilderness" travel, but you can add or subtract items as necessary (I added a small LED flashlight). I think it's a good start and to help you decide what all you need.
Kirk

guncollector

Enlightened

Lighthouse writes:
Nicely worded and well done! We can tell you've been paying attention at Equipped to Survive!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks. But I'm not a reader of ETS. While I'm aware it got very good info, I've found the layout and organization "lacking".

My USMK was based on (and modified for Urban situations) the Penrith Combat Survival Kit--which is geared towards backcountry survival.

jtivat inquires:Can these kits be purchased and if so which ones are the best and where can you get them.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ditto Gone Jeepin's suggestion to make it yourself and have fun doing it.

There are some kits, like the Penrith Combat Survival Kit and others which are commercially available, but they are geared towards backcountry--and slightly larger than the Altoids tin.