• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Throw Shootout! S27-C (Seoul P4) / XR19-C/ Shoppe A19 XR-E/ Ti Ion XRE @ 200 feet!!!

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Seoul001.jpg
Well I have 4 new led lights. 3 utilize the Cree XR-E emitter, 1 utilizes the Seoul P4 emitter.
A member on another thread suggested that I do a distance shootout. (Imagine that!)

So I came home from doing christmas hopping all day visiting the fam, and just went ahead and did it. You wont get a Super Shootout like last time, boy that was alot of work!

Heres the contenders:
  • McGizmo made Ti S27-C Driven at 525mA on high.
  • McGizmo made Ti XR19-C Driven at 525mA on high.
  • Shoppe made Aleph 19 XR-E driven at 850mA (I am 99% sure)
  • Photons Int. (Endeavour) made Ti CR2 Ion XR-E (No idea of the drive level) Tiny little booger!

Many of you know about the Cree XR-E and the new Seoul P4 and the differences in the two.

Enough rambling, onto what you raging flashaholics need to get by: BEAMSHOTS! :rock:

The shed that is the target in this shootout is Approx 200 ft. away, give or take 20 feet. Again, keep in mind I make these realistic as possible, for brightness, spill, etc..... Keep in mind that these lights demolish any Lux III Luxeons, thery are bright!!

christmas075.jpg

christmas076.jpg

christmas077.jpg

christmas078.jpg

EDIT: MORE BEAMSHOTS!!
Neighbor is out of town all week, excellent target. :naughty:
Two different exposures, the over exposures seem to show the tints fairly accuratley. The two Tis are warm, the shoppe A19 is very cool.

House is probably 170 ft. approx.

cree004.jpg

cree005.jpg

cree006.jpg

cree007.jpg

cree008.jpg

cree009.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Comments? Feel free to discuss.

Last edited:

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Throw Shootout! S27-C (Seoul P4) / XR19-C/ Shoppe A19 XR-E/ Ti Ion XRE @ 200 feet!!!

Well, that definitely clears things up. (j/k)

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Throw Shootout! S27-C (Seoul P4) / XR19-C/ Shoppe A19 XR-E/ Ti Ion XRE @ 200 feet!!!

PSM, it's very hard to see without a white wall to hunt! :grin2: Ha!! Very interesting. Thanks for the comparisons. I surely do envy you that Ti-S27C. Hope you had a MERRY CHRISTMAS :santa:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Four lights. Three pics. I think you are missing the McGizmo made Ti S27-C?

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 4 pics on my monitor. The S27 (Seoul) shows a brighter outline of the shed vs the smaller Cree lights.

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok, I'll ask.

HOW THE HECK DID YOU ALREADY GET A Ti S27-C?!?!?

:rock: WP

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,

Hey PSM!

I did it for you last time, and by golly, I'll do it again!

Here's a quick animation showing the three more comparable lights - leaving the Ti CR2 Ion XT out (and not just because mine has yet to arrive! I just think it's not fair to compare in an animation!).

psm2rw8.gif

Awesome job keeping the framing consistent! :thumbsup:

:) john

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stingray said:
I have 4 pics on my monitor. The S27 (Seoul) shows a brighter outline of the shed vs the smaller Cree lights.
OK. I see it this time. Musta been some kind of a loading problem. Thanks.

jch79 -

Animations are very useful. Good job.

*Retired*

The Ion CR2 XT I believe is 350mA.

PSM,

Thanks a bunch for the shootout!

So, if I understand things correctly, the TI S27-C uses the large 27mm reflector, and the TI XR19-C XRE and the Shoppe A19-XRE are both utilizing the small 19mm reflectors, correct?

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. Basically the bigger reflector more than outweighs the lower drive current.

*Retired*

It has been my experience, that reflectors with larger diameters generally throw much better.

Case in point, McG38 and McG45 vs. McG19

To really know, you'd have to put the to LEDs into the same reflector. The Seoul should put more light into the hotspot, but it sacrifices the flood brightness due to the nature of the LED output distribution.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice comparison, thanks! was there any adjustment necesary to focus the P4 in the 27mm reflector?

AlexGT

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast

PSM, so you are playing around with that SSC P4 emitter. Just an LED.:shrug: But did you get two of them? Sold, PP on the way and one day shipping to me, PLEASE!:whistle: :laughing: Is yours the higher output "U" version of the P4? I`m slow an not up to date on these SSC P4 so another question for you. Is your P4 using the Mcr27XR reflector as you stated in the first post or the Mcr27L? Thought these were supposed to focus with the same reflectors as a Luxeon since they emit light similiar to a Lambertian Luxeon and not the Cree XR-E??? No more dumb questions..........for now, anyway.;)

Thank you:)
Ken
BTW Cool lights you have there!:thumbsup: But you are teasing me with them!:twak: :grin2: Just this morning the Mailman brought me a Ti XR19-C. My first impession of this light!:rock:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Kenster,

PSM has a 27S-C that I built for him. It has a P4 U flux bin LED and has been modified to host my universal heat sink with P4 mounted and the reflector is a modified McR-27L. The modification entails removal of .030" from the rear for focal adjustment. I have McR-27S reflectors on order which will be off the shelf versions of this modified reflector but not requiring the modification. In the mean time, I am building more of these 27S-C heads up and once I get more C paks or Ti PD paks from the machine shop, I will be ready to offer more of these up.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
grapplex said:
I'm a little disappointed. How on earth am I to decide which of these lights is gonna function best in my livingroom at three paces from these horrible outside beamshots? Can we please get some white wall shots?
I'm assuming your kidding! Good one! :laughing:

Heres a wallshot with the 27S on the left and 19 XR on the right at different exposures.:

Seoul002.jpg

Seoul004.jpg

Seoul005.jpg

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

Also remember, these are @ 200 feet! Dont expect a blazing beamshot like this one at 60ish feet:

Ashootout002.jpg

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Nice shootout !!!
Thanx !!
bernie

P.S.: I'll just put the animated version in the FAQ. If you'd rather avoid this, just PM me. :)