Leonid Meteor Shower

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
Found and interesting site regarding sunrise/sunset times with detailed twilight listing for any given location, including a US city database. Have a look if interested:
http://www.sunrisesunset.com

I calculated twilight(astronomical twilight) for my location and it begins at 5:14AM. This is the time at which the sun just starts to have an influence on the night sky. So.... Since the storm is supposed to peak at 5:00AM, I figure that I have 1/2 hour window of opportunity for catching an optimal view from about 4:45 to 5:15. Now all I have to hope for is that there will be minimal, if any, cloud cover. I saw last years display, and it was without a doubt, spectacular. It was reminiscent of the opening to a sci-fi series or movie. Most of the meteors were rapid streaks through the sky, but there were a handful of slow-moving ones, which left behind a glittering tail, which was just amazing. Enjoy it and hope everyone that ventures out to see it has a great, cloudless vantage point.
EDIT: FYI, it will be a full moon night, but it should be very low in the western sky if your viewing times are similar to mine. I am on the East Coast of NJ, but as you move westward, the moon will be higher up in the night sky. On a full moon night such as tonight, the moon is at it's highest point at approx 12 midnight. The reason I mention this is that the moon usually has a detrimental effect on meteor observation, polluting the darkness of the night sky with a sort of "white LED-ish"
grin.gif
sort of glow.
Ed.

Spudman

Enlightened
Rats!
It looks like the clouds are rolling in over Kentucky. I'f I'm lucky I may still be able to see some of the shower tonight around 11:00, but the morning will probably be rained out.

G.
frown.gif

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very clear here tonight! but I got up at 4:30 and hope i can check it out! With 1st gen night vision it will be even more cool!

Saaby

Flashaholic
He he I just had to dig this up because we (My family) is actually doing something spur-of-the-moment (Rare for us
tongue.gif
)

Looks like I'll be up at 2:30 Mountain time~we're going to go drive a bit and try and get away from city lights. Good thing I have easy classes tomorrow
grin.gif

Ryan

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking forward to it. I'm a night person, but I just happen to have to get up at 5:30 a.m. EST tomorrow. I'll be dragging my drowsy butt outside for a look.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I'm up again... (Look at the timespamp, and then remember that I don't live in Sweeden, but in Utah)

3 AM! CraZy

Saaby

Flashaholic
Well that's a shame...

We were out for about 45 minutes. Mostly in the front yard, with a huge street lamp. About 3:20 AM (My Time, with peak being about 3:30) 3 of the 4 of us set off to find a spot with less light. We drove around for about 15 minutes (Driving durring the peak) and more or less concluded that the front yard, street lamp and all, was about as good as we were going to do.

By this time the 3 of us had seen about 5 meteor's total.

When we set out a good part of the eastern sky was overcast. By 3:45ish the whole sky was overcast...I counted a total of 2 visible stars.

Oh well...there's always next year, even if not nearly as spectacular...and it was a mini-adventure.

Anybody else care to report?

Saaby

Flashaholic
Before you ask, I took an Arc AAA and Arc LSx123 on this adventure. In spirit of keeping good ngiht vision, neither was used--but both were ready for action.

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
Here on the east coast, I saw a whopping two meteors, and we had overcast skies, enough thickness to only let the "super bright ones" shine forth. The moon looked very hazy, couldn't see any detail on its surface. Last year it was a cloudless knight and it blew this shower away by comparison. I wonder how people with clear skies in the US faired at viewing them? At the very least, I hope someone got to appreciate this spectacle unobstructed.

Oh well! Maybe another thyme.....

ed=mc²

Mugsy

Newly Enlightened
I didn't see much either in my part of the country (cause I was asleep).
smile.gif
That's a shame about all the cloud cover though.