mn-60 or mn-61 in double barrel 8AA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on the apparently good work of aragorn(we still need pictures of beam with a comparison) I was thinking of trying one of the following combos.

1.mn60 with 8AA NiCad? or NMIH?
2. mn61 with 8AA NiCad? or NMIH?
3. P-91 with 6AA NiCad? or NMIH? and two dummy cells.

Questions:
1. I am thinking that the mn lamps will be too hot or not even fit right...???
2. Is it possible (since under load i figure that the 8AA will pull down to under 9volts), to use 8 instead of 6AA's with the P91?

I like the idea of the P91 since it comes with a reflector and would be less likely to damage the plastic bezel of the double barrel than the "bare" mn series lamps.

Any thoughts or suggestions out there?

If this really does work It would be a great alternative to the expesive surefire products with people that realize that even though the surefires are excellent products (i have an E2e) They are so darn expensive, i don't want to spend that much money for a flashlight that wouldn't get that much use.

Thanks in advance.

Brock

Flashaholic
Well the 8AA, will give you 12v, or do they put them in series for 6v? If it is 6v then that should drive the P60 pretty well, the P61 might be to much power for even 8 AA's, but maybe. Now if you use NiMH it should drive either one quite well.

I think 6 NiMH AA cells is already overdriving the P91 a bit. Maybe I can get Argorn to send me his for a bit to take some readings?

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bushman, Brock,

based on my testing with high loads on NiMh and NiCd at such loads you should expect around 1.1 to 1.2V per cell - less drop with NiCds and more with NiMhs. Do some free-air testing first and try to stay in the area where the Lithiums drop under load too - Brocks site gives some good data on that.

Klaus

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
brock, these lights are in a series/parallel setup ie 8AA gives 6volts. but theyare real easy to make into series wiring ie 8AA gives 12 volts. soooooooo....

Brock

Flashaholic
Oh, well I have a 12v 50w lamp
wink.gif
but I am doubting even 8 NiCads could do that. So I bet a P61 would work nicely on 4 NiMH's, it is running 3.75v on 2 123's, so 8 NiMHs might be a bit high, I am betting 8 would give you about 4.4v. The P60 should run quite well though on 4 cells.

I really need to get home and just try it out with the lamps.

JoeyL

Enlightened
Hello Bushman,

I made a coversion with the 8AA using a P60 instead of a P91. It is pretty good with 8 nimh cells, and better with 8 alkalines. It is a good light, just like a 6P with a lot longer life. Here are some pictures:

web page

Gandalf,
If you read this, I did not notice you asked me about this conversion. I must have missed it. (I've been at work a lot) If you are still interested in the wiring for this conversion, let me know!

Larry1582

Enlightened
JoeyL, I am interested in the wiring on the DB 8AA & P60 mod. Did you have any heat problems with the lens?

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Is this just a pretty much straightforward drop in, or is it more involved than that? (ie cutting/trimming of the lightbody, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.