Help me pick a good "middle weight" light

cchurchi

Enlightened
For about 2 years now I've had the flashlight bug, and I have been collecting a variety of lights. I have noticed though, that there are several lights that I never use. So rather then collecting lights I have decided to keep just 3 lights that I will store in a winchester padded pistol case; a lightweight / EDC light, a medium class / late night walk light, and a heavy weight, very bright / cave light.

For the light weight / EDC light, I am keeping my Liteflux LF1 with rechargeable 14500 protected batteries. This light has a very handy candle mode and will also work with regular AA batteries.

For the "heavy weight" class I currently have a AE light PL 24 with 1300 lumens for 2 hours, although I have ordered a 24W Wolf Eyes Boxer with an extra set of batteries that may replace the PL24.

For the middle weight class I was using an Inova T4 that I just sold a week ago. It was a great light with plenty of throw, it just didn't have enough flood. My other middle weight light is a Streamlight ultra stinger. I think I will replace this light also because it is too large for the middle weight class and too dim for the heavy weights, it only runs for one hour, and it does not accept primaries.

So, help me pick a great middle weight light. I would like it to accept primaries as well as rechargeables. Right now I am leaning towards the Cree Xre Huntlight. Are there other lights to consider, or should I wait for other manufactures to come on board with the Cree led.

martonic

Enlightened
Some good options:

LED - Huntlight FT-01XSE Cree: best value in the new Cree lights. Terrific large beam.
INCAN - Streamlight TL-3: small and killer bright - but no rechargeables.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to recommend a ProPoly Lux like lightUup, but those have a lot more throw than the T4. The T4 is already a pretty floody light.

Off the top of my head, the easiest way to get big flood is to pop the reflector out of a MagLED (or any other light with a separate reflector). Boom, instant flood - no hotspot at all.

The TL-3 can indeed use rechargeables, martonic. The accepted setup is a pair of 17500s.