• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Reflector for ROP/LE

jskibi

Newly Enlightened
I've been searching for a metal reflector for a ROP/LE and can only find camless reflectors from The sandwich shoppe and www.light-edge.com.

Do I need a cammed reflector and if so, where can I find one with a medium orange peel (MOP) or equivalent?

If I can use a camless reflector, how do I adjust the spot, and from where might I find one?

Thanks,
Joe

Niteowl

Enlightened
jskibi, Welcome to the CPF!

A cammed reflector simply makes focusing the beam easier. I use a camless reflector in my ROP and use shims to fine tune the beam. Some prefer camless for the smaller hole, as there is a bit more reflective surface. I haven't seen cammed MOP reflectors for awhile. I have one of light-edge's camless reflectors and am happy with it.

jskibi

Newly Enlightened
What do you use for shims and where do you find them?

The only finish left is heavy and light stipple and HOP. Which would be the best compromise?

BTW, I too have the mod bug and that was a really fast reply.

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:

oregon

Enlightened
jskibi said:
I've been searching for a metal reflector for a ROP/LE Joe

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/112185

You absolutely must get the dual-use reflector from fivemega. If you don't buy an adjustable reflector you will be sorry (artifacts in incans are large and annoying so you need a way to minimize them). Make certain that your bulb will pass thru the hole in the reflector.

I've dealt with fivemega, have his heavy stipple dual use reflector in a ROP (beautiful beam, if you don't like it you can break both my legs and I won't squawk), and he is easy to work with. I can vouch for him and his fine work.

I understand that he intends to have a more complete assortment of reflectors available early in the new year. That is when I'll be buying a MOP.

ROP: Best of the "DIY" incans IMHO (useable huge lumens and usuable runtime and you can do it yourself).

All the best,

oregon

oregon

Enlightened
Here's my 2D parts list with vendors

ROP (Roar of the Pelican), 2D M@g modification/hotwire: parts list & vendors, 12-2006

Bulb kit: Pelican part #3854, 11W & 24W, lighthound.com

Batteries: 6AA 2700mah Ni-MH, lighthound.com

Borofloat lens: clear + heat-shock resistant, lighthound.com

Bat. holder: 6AA to 2D* [email protected]

Cammed reflector: will bulb(s) pass thru hole? [email protected]

Charger (if needed): 6-12 cells charged inside holder: [email protected]

* Holder & reflector found on CPF under group buys: fivemega

ROP2D001.jpg

Beamshot (high bulb), autofocus digital camera, about 6 foot out (spyder?).

ROP2Dartifacttofear004.jpg

All the best, oregon

Last edited:

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
oregon said:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/112185

You absolutely must get the dual-use reflector from fivemega. If you don't buy an adjustable reflector you will be sorry (artifacts in incans are large and annoying so you need a way to minimize them). Make certain that your bulb will pass thru the hole in the reflector.

I've dealt with fivemega, have his heavy stipple dual use reflector in a ROP (beautiful beam, if you don't like it you can break both my legs and I won't squawk), and he is easy to work with. I can vouch for him and his fine work.

I understand that he intends to have a more complete assortment of reflectors available early in the new year. That is when I'll be buying a MOP.

ROP: Best of the "DIY" incans IMHO (useable huge lumens and usuable runtime and you can do it yourself).

All the best,

oregon

Well, said. I need badly an SMO cammed reflector for a particular light used in a special application and I did not realize the supply would dry up.

I have had good success with the ROP bulb arifacts with frosting the lower 2/3 of the bulb, that is the line is just above the filament. Light exiting the bulb off the top of the filament is not shadowed and therefore needs no frosting. In theory this provides more light out. Whether you can measure that is debatable.

For easy DIY FiveMega's new offering of a drop in PR to bi-pin socket makes other DIY projects as easy as the ROP and for the same voltage, 7.2 volts, the bi-pin phillips 5761 has about 300 more torch-lumens than the pelican 3854, ROP high.

Niteowl

Enlightened
jskibi said:
What do you use for shims and where do you find them?.....

I believe they are supplied with the reflector. Not 100% certain however.

As mentioned, fivemagea's a great source for mag modding items. Watch your wallet though, :poof:! :)

oregon

Enlightened
Northern Lights said:
For easy DIY FiveMega's new offering of a drop in PR to bi-pin socket makes other DIY projects as easy as the ROP

Yes. These are heady times for flashlight parts.

I dropped a fivemega's gold bi-pin adaptor into a M@G 3D, put in a WA 1185 lamp, added a fivemega 3D to 9AA battery carrier, dropped in a camless smooth metal reflector and created a monster. The huge black artifact, looks like a huge black spyder at the center of the beam, puts fear into me everytime I see it. I could use a FM MOP. Note that this bi-pin holder does not accept large pins, like those found on the Osram 64623 (for this 1/2 inch wide lamp you need Kiu's adapter and a hatchet job on the M@G switch/holder). So make certain that your intended bulb fits the holder and passes thru the hole in the reflector.

Also, sometimes you can find potted super bulbs, I've read, and avoid the adapter.

All the best,

oregon

jskibi

Newly Enlightened
Oregon:

This is my parts/vendor list for $87.50 ROP/LE for M@g 2c (Roar of the Pelican/Lithium Edition). Idea for the light from CPF, not an original idea by any means!

M@g 2c flashlight:
Radioshack $17

Batteries:
2 unprotected Li-ion 18650 2200mAh from www.lighthound.com $13

Battery charger: DSD 2 station charger from www.lighthound.com $12

Bulb:
Pelican Big D bulb 3854 from www.lighthound.com $8

Lens:
Borofloat 52.1mm glass lens from www.lighthound.com $5

Reflector:
Aluminum cammed heavy stipple from Fivemega https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/112185 $32.50

Haven't received any of the parts, so I can't vouch for performance/reliability.

Joe

Last edited:

oregon

Enlightened
jskibi said:
This is my parts/vendor list for $87.50 ROP/LE for M@g 2c (Roar of the Pelican/Lithium Edition).

Thank you kindly Joe for your parts list. It is much appreciated. So much more convenient to have a recipe on one page right in front of you when you go to order parts.

I put a picture, above in my parts post, of the current parts in my ROP. (note: the reflector is a smooth camless one and the batteries are left overs from ROPs made for my two sons.)

Perhaps you could post a pic along with your recipe in the future.

How do the batteries fit into the light? Do you need some pvc or something?

All the best,

oregon

jskibi

Newly Enlightened
Oregon:

This is my new parts/vendor list for $82.50 (probably closer to $110 including the charger and shipping charges) ROP/LE for M@g 2c (Roar of the Pelican/Lithium Edition). I have been reading about the batteries more and decided against using unprotected li-ion cells. You could get a Mag85 turnkey without a charger for the same price, but not in such a nice little package http://www.light-edge.com/proddetail.asp?section=Super%20Mag&prod=MLS3D016A3D016B.

M@g 2c flashlight:
Radioshack $17

Batteries:
2 protected Li-ion 18650 2200mAh from CPF member AW https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/140362 $24

Battery charger:
Ultrafire WF-139 also from AW http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1706971#post1706971 $15

Mag extension:
Mag of the Ring kit to extend handle for extra length of protected cells from CPF member download http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=142445 $13

Bulb:
Pelican Big D bulb 3854 from www.lighthound.com $8

Lens:
Borofloat 52.1mm glass lens from www.lighthound.com $5

Reflector:
Aluminum cammed heavy stipple from CPF member Fivemega http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ad.php?t=112185 $32.50

Still haven't received any of the parts, so I can't vouch for performance/reliability. The batteries in the Mag now are Surefire CR123 held in by a 3/4" vinyl tube found at Ace Hardware.

Joe

Last edited: