Gladius battery change demonstration video

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made a video of the Gladius battery change procedure. It's here.

I recommend turning down your speakers.

Last edited:

PFloyd

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Tigerhawk. That's gonna help me a lot because I'm buying a Gladius tomorrow. It looks to be pretty simple but probably needs a little practice.

Very helpful.

Thanks
Bob

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Nice easy to understand video Tigerhawk!

As long as one follows the instructions, watches the video, and is careful...there are no problems changing the batteries.

Those that are heavy handed and used to merely cranking down the tailcap will be asking for problems if they don't carefully align the cap the way they are supposed to.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad you enjoyed it!

It's a pleasure to shoot these videos. They can turn out so nicely.

I'd be happy to take requests, if anyone has one... :sssh: :whistle: :popcorn:

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been somewhat perplexed by the number of people having difficulty doing it correctly. The first time I put the tailcap on I discovered that same method of aligning it correctly. Something just didn't feel right if the pin wasnt lined up.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, I think anyone who has trouble changing the battery in a Gladius after one or two reps probably shouldn't be doing things after dark and/or with weapons...

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, since Quickbeam's review devotes five paragraphs to the battery change procedure, and was also his main beef with the light in the "What I Didn't Like" section of his review, and people have really latched on to that as a huge flaw in the Gladius, I decided to post an actual video rather than just saying "ur all n00bz cuz gladius iz teh r0xx0r," or something to that effect. Now, people can see for themselves what all the fuss is about.

Crashking

Newly Enlightened
yeah i had read the cautions of installing the tail cap before i even bought the light... re read them when i got the flashlight and installed the batteries and had it all together...i was doubtful that i did it right because it was so easy... pushed the button and i've been happy ever since :)

i think it's no more difficult than regular threaded lights... sometimes they can be a pita to get on

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm especially unenthusiastic about changing batteries in Mags. The tailsprings are so stiff that's it's a balancing act between leaning hard on the tailcap and carefully aligning the threads. :crazy:

The Gladius spring, at least, is nice and forgiving. Plus, there are lugs for better grip if you need it.

byron8

Newly Enlightened
Blackhawk should include a video like this with their Gladius since most people would watch a video over reading the instructions. My Gladius has been working flawless after initial switch failure during first couple days. Don't know what happened, maybe needed breaking in. I also removed and replaced the tailcap many times with no problems.

softfeel

Newly Enlightened
chevrofreak said:
I've been somewhat perplexed by the number of people having difficulty doing it correctly. The first time I put the tailcap on I discovered that same method of aligning it correctly. Something just didn't feel right if the pin wasnt lined up.

I guess the feel your talking about is when the groove on the inside of the body tube lines up with the protrusion on the outer wall of the inner tailcap mechanism. Is that correct? The inner tailcap mechanism of my Gladius does not have a protrusion so I don't feel when the tailcap is in place. My light was used before me, I don't know if was broken by me or the previous owner or maybe a fault in manufacture from factory.

Perhaps it is time to contact Night-Ops?

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it is time to contact Night-Ops. If your Gladius tailcap doesn't have a protrusion that lines up with the body groove (great pictures at Quickbeam's review), then something is very wrong.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Iono if I woudl consider buying one after spending $300 for batteries and a U2 since the U2 has a better output with only slightly less throw. Although the Light does appeal to me I doubt the tricky tailcap would be a non sellign point for me. I bet you could just toa light spin and the thing woudl align. The biggest problem I see woudl be if the tab was free moving with very little friction to keep it in spot.

waynejitsu

Enlightened
I had no idea there was a problem...

Since all you Gladius guys are together, I do have a question...,
Other than running "123" primaries, is there anything else you can use (rechargable).
Anyone try "123" rechargables (3.7v)?

Thanks for any info...

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig, I would be honored to have you post my video there. Feel free to use the "Embed" code.

-DO NOT use a pair of Li-Ions in your Gladius. This is too much voltage.
-You CAN use a single Li-Ion, like a 17500 with a spacer or a 17670, but you'll get an occasional double-blink, because there isn't enough voltage. The light will still work, but you'll get the low-battery warning throughout the runtime, even hot off the charger.
-You CAN use a pair of 3.0V Li-Ions, including the Tenergy cells, Powerizer cells, or AW's LiFePO4 cells. The only effect this will have is a shorter runtime than with primaries.

I also have this info in my review of the Gladius at www.geocities.com/tigerhawkt3/gladius.htm.