Has Your Kroma Taken Your A2 Aviator's Place?

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

I got a SureFire Kroma the other day. It is a little bigger than my SureFire A2s, but it does the same and more. And, to my surprise, I use all of the low settings on the Kroma quite a bit.

I like colored lights. They aren't as good for general purpose as a low level white, but they do other things that white cannot. For example, my A2-red was my nightstand light. I could get up and check things at night by the red light, but a bright white light was right there. Likewise, my yellow-green A2 allows me to read by a pleasant dim light that is not distracting to others like white would be. Looking at a map in the car is a good example. The Y/G light lets me read all the map features, but doesn't distract the driver. A white A2 would be too much.

Now comes the Kroma, with its two levels of red and blue light, dim white, and A2-esque bright white in conjunction with the low level. The dim red is excellent for around the house. It is dimmer than the A2, and much floodier. I can use the bright red for finding my way outside if I don't want to destroy my dark-adapted vision.

I did not expect that I would use the blue on the Kroma, but I do. Dim is a brighter flood than dim red, and really lights up a nearby area well. It is great as a low-light navigational tool outside. Bright blue lights up a small yard. I would prefer green, but blue actually is pretty useful. I don't use it because it is blue, but more because of the level of light and the floodiness.

The Kroma's dim white is a little wierd. Up close it is a *very* small spot, square and about the size of a postage stamp. It has proved useful for looking at small things, but the white beam doesn't get to be a size that you (I) would expect until about 6 feet or so. Not a reading light.

The main white beams in both lights are functionally comparable. Not the same color at all, but comparable in pattern and throw.

I don't use my A2s now. They are smaller and thus more easily carried, but for the majority of my uses they have been replaced by my Kroma.

Anyone else feel the same?

Scott

Illum

Flashaholic
as tempting as Kromas are, Im not ready to retire my A2 yet:huh:...although buying the A2 retired almost my entire collection:grin2:

Interesting....postage stamp sized?
is it white 5mm leds or was it the TIR optics on low?

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:
Interesting....postage stamp sized?
is it white 5mm leds or was it the TIR optics on low?

Yes, no kidding. The hot spot is no bigger than a 39-center at maybe 8".

The TIR in the Kroma sends the light out in a converging beam. The white beam actually seems to get narrower for some distance before spreading out past its focus point to a useful beam.

It is a pretty nice beam at more than a few feet though. Not quite as nice as the A2's bright beam, but pretty good. Close to the hotspot the two lights have comparable intensity and spill.

Scott

P.S. I missed this -- there are no white small LEDs in the Kroma. There are 16 three-mm LEDs around the white LuxIII. There are 8 red 3mm, 8 blue 3mm.

Last edited:

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Kroma is really hard for me to demo due to that beam, kinda reminds me of the X200A. It needs about 30 feet to really shine, no pun intended

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be all over a Kroma if it had Red/Yellowgreen or Red/UV LEDs instead of Red/Blue. I have no use for blue. None whatsoever.

Flashdark

Enlightened
My K2 KROMA has replaced all other lights as my "general-purpose"/utility light. (It replaced the U2). My three primaries are now the ML-1 (Milkyspit's L-1 mod), the K2, and the M3.

Flashdark sends,
Flashdark spends.

CQB

Enlightened
my K2 has replaced my A2. The slimmer A2 is more pocket-friendly, and I am still used to bezel-up clipping. I had to get used to the slightly larger bezel on the K2 plus the fact the clip makes it bezel-down carry. As some already posted, I like the additional colors available with their low & high outputs.

my A2's twisty switch is still more easier to use than my K2, which takes more effort to twist, although I kinda like that too.

as an aside, the K2 is waaay more practical as an EDC/general purpose light than my PKEF (its estranged bigger brother) which is designed more for outdoors & greater distance lighting. It just *begs* for a holster..! :)

Last edited:

CQB

Enlightened
Planterz said:
I'd be all over a Kroma if it had Red/Yellowgreen or Red/UV LEDs instead of Red/Blue. I have no use for blue. None whatsoever.

i felt the same way re: the blue leds. I still bought the K2. :)

after using it for a month or so now, I find I use the red leds most often for low-light applications, then punch the WHITE luxeon for when I need higher output. I rarely use the low white setting.

when I wanted to get my brother's attention one time, I flashed the BLUE leds and he noticed them easily. I've read the blue color is nice for signaling, etc. How often i need to signal someone is quite low at this time, but it's nice to knwo it's there I guess. (*shrugs*)

... and you never know when you might want to follow a blood trail inside the house one night...! ;)

cdf

Enlightened
A buddy of mine has retired his A2 as a duty lite , and has gone over to a Kroma . He likes the low blue for low lite navigation .

Chris

surefire86

Newly Enlightened
Planterz said:

The blue does basically they same thing that green and yellow-green do: It enhances contrast. It is great for reading text or maps in low level light. The shade of blue used in the K2 does not wash out blue markings (as in water) on a map, in my experience with it. The biggest use I always hear for blue is "following blood trails", but it can be used very effectively for other similiar tasks, such as finding stains on carpet or furniture.

I think Scott's review is right on the money. I borrowed one from a friend for a few days and could have written basically the same review myself. He really seems to understand the "purpose" of this light.

For me personally though, I am sticking with my yellow-green aviator. I can read maps and navigate in the dark without attracting attention to myself or destroying my dark-adapted vision with it. Plus I just hate the bluish light of LED lights. So I really value the pure white light of an incandescent, like the A2. It is also easier for me to carry along with my gun and spare mags, due to its smaller diamater. But that is just my personal preference.

I think the K2 makes a great EDC light for anyone who likes LED light and doesn't mind the size of it.

nuggett

Enlightened
Milkys ML1 replaced my A2, no bulb to worry about, single cell, bright output, 2 stage.....Perfect!

Illum

Flashaholic
nuggett said:
Milkys ML1 replaced my A2, no bulb to worry about, single cell, bright output, 2 stage.....Perfect!

I forgot, theres always the A2's MA02 LA to worry about...so far so good :sweat:

Last edited:

Old Light

Newly Enlightened
Flashdark said:
My K2 KROMA has replaced all other lights as my "general-purpose"/utility light. (It replaced the U2). My three primaries are now the ML-1 (Milkyspit's L-1 mod), the K2, and the M3.

Flashdark sends,
Flashdark spends.

Out of curiousity, why do you like the Kroma better than the U2?

By the description, it would seem to give less light.

InfidelCastro

Banned
After seeing the Kroma beamshots a few months back, I would buy an Aviator to take the Kroma's place..

Topper

Flashaholic*
Yes if you meen around the house/yard or hunting. If you meen as a EDC well then no. The A2 is much smaller so that is a plus if sticking it in your pocket to have it ready whenever you need it. If you are just around the house well yes I will grab the K2 over the A2. In the event I could have only one????? My head would explode. I like both very much.
Topper

Flashdark

Enlightened
Old Light,

In general, you are correct. It does put out less light than the U2. HOWEVER, the "low" setting on the K2 is half the output of the U2, just what we all wanted for the sake of nigh-vision preservation. The U2 is just too bright at it's lowest setting. On "high", the K2 will out-throw the U2 by a hair. The beam can be flooded out very nicely with an F-70 or an FM-64 beamshaper filter. Granted, it puts out less total light, and the beam is less attractive, with less spill; BUT, since MOST people only use the lowest and highest settings on the U2, for either closeup work or distance, AND the K2 does a slightly better job on both, the extra features and the smaller size of the K2 make it a winner.

I did an exhaustive review on the K2 in the "Reviews" section, "Surefire K2 KROMA vs. KROMA MILSPEC", Post #40. Many additional advantages were sited under "Overall Conclusions" near the end of the review.

Hope this helps,
Flashdark sends,
Flashdark spends.

rgp4544

Newly Enlightened
My Kroma almost took the place of my A2's until the Kroma tail switch mechanism proved unreliable - it failed after about 3 weeks of constant use. I'll be back in the USA in a few months at which time I'll send it back to Surefire for repair or replacement.

Meanwhile I'd rather carry and use an A2.

Richard