help with leaky washer

justjim

Newly Enlightened
greetings all,

my 18 month old maytag washing machine is making a high pitched whine in spin mode and is leaking slightly. i've checked the level, hoses and belts and they seem fine. anybody have any ideas as to the problem before i call for sevice? thanks.

-jim

Illum

Flashaholic
usually the "o-ring" the rubber gasket is replaceable from the manufacturer since they're essentially unaltered from one version to another...and rubber will wear out from the solvents in dishwasher liquid and turn rigid:ohgeez:.

where is the water leaking from?:candle: if its anywhere but from the front door, you'll have to pull it out and check the strainers on the connections in the back.

high pitched wine during wash or the beginning/end cycle?
Valpo Hawkeye has a good point, my guess would be a faulty bearing that holds the axel in place...:whistle:

heres something I found online....though I have no idea what a "water hammer" is...
http://www.terrylove.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-255.html

goldenlight

Enlightened
Maytag washers are designed to be serviced from the front. The front panel is held in place by two small sheetmetal screws on the bottom edge, or on a ridge above the bottom edge.

Maytag washers are old fashioned: they are built to last, and are serviceable.

My 8-10 YO Maytag developed a leak at the seal on the tub itself. I went to a larger library, and checked out two repair manuals. They are very thin; I xeroxed them.

Since yours is so new, it could be just a loose clamp on a hose inside the machine, such as at the pump that pumps out the water, or something similar.

My repair was a major job, requiring two special tool I bought from an appliance supply store. I got all the parts there as well. With help from my brother, we fixed it in a about 2 hours. I replaced all the parts at the seal, so I spent more money than I had to, but hopefully it will be trouble free for many years to come. I run only 2 loads a week, after all.

Even if you don't fix it yourself, knowing exactly what the problem is can save you a bunch of $$$ when the overzealous repair person starts telling you what HE thinks needs to be done. Also, you can get a price from an appliance supply store for any parts that need replacing, in advance, so you know if your repair guy is gouging you on the parts prices.

Good luck!

justjim

Newly Enlightened
hawkeye, ilum, & g-light,

thanks for your inputs. the hoses and clamps seem to be in good shape. if anything more complex needs replacing, i think i better let the pros handle it. maytag has a 2 year warranty on parts so i'm partly covered. thanks again guys.

-jim