ROP high, pretty nice, what others do you like?

Buckfever

Newly Enlightened
I just got the Rop high and low and ran them for a short time out of the Magmod 2C with 2 of the AW p18500s. Took a double click on the high. I didn't have time to play with different reflectors but the ROP low at least with a SMO reflector didn't impress me much. It throws good, but overall I actually prefer the Magnum Star 5 cell, especially considering the run time.

On the other hand the ROP high bulb just looked beautiful to me. What a beam. WOW. I didn't want to turn it off!!! And I'm not talking so much about output as I am the quality of the beam.

What others do you guys really like and if you could expound a bit on that, that would be great.

hawkz

Newly Enlightened
I really like Modamag's Mag623 that I bought second-hand. Forget beautiful beams. How about just so much light that you can't even tell if the beam's pretty or not? If you get one of these, either from Mac or from Modamag, it might actually cure your incandescent portion of your flashaholism. It did for me :)

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run my ROP with the low bulb in the same setup you use. I actually really like it! The output is pretty impressive and the beam looks great, thanks to a HS reflector.

Buckfever

Newly Enlightened
hawkz,
What's the Output on the Mag623 and what are we talking about in terms of run times?

adirondackdestroyer,
I'm hunting today and needed the flashlight in case I have to track with it. But yeah I'll play with the different reflectors I've made up and see what the low likes. Did you try the other reflectors with the low? How's the throw with the HS?

I think I'm still stuck on this maximizing beam quality/runtime equation.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
If you want great runtime and better beam quality, try one of the smaller filament bulbs like the Carley h1499p. Long filaments put out light further from the focal point of a reflector and so they produce a less symmetrical beam pattern.

For a brighter version of this one, with less runtime of course, try the WA 01274p. Both of these bulbs are smaller than the ROPs, and can therefore be used with reflectors having smaller openings to make an even nicer beam. You will notice quite a difference with that SMO reflector as well.

I have been running the h1499p in a 2C with the 18500s and a FM 2" deep SMO reflector. It gives a beautiful hotspot and ample spill. Now I am looking forward to receiving my 1274 bulbs to take it to the next level. What I really can't wait for is the C-size Li-ions from AW to run a Phillips 5761 in this light!

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using a Fivemega PR to Bi-Pin socket you can substitute the Pelican 3854 bulb, ROP high, with a Phillips 5761 in many battery applications. I do not know about AW's 18500 but there are 18650s at 2600 mAh that work. AW's lithium Cs due out soon ought to be just great. Both bulbs run on 7.2 volts. The 5761 will run about 300 lumens brighter, around 600 torch lumens. Beat the snot out some hotwires. Look at beam shots:
ROP v. 1185
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...hlight=rop+1185
1185 v. 5761
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...&highlight=5761
my 5761 project
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/145224