Orb RAW NS - Charger Problem?

MountainMan

Newly Enlightened
For those of you using the Orb Nano charger - do I have a problem?

Recently received my Orb Raw NS and went to charge the battery for the first time using the included Nano charger. The battery is unprotected but the charger has a protection circuit that is suppose to shut it off so the battery does not get over charged - this can be dangerous for an unprotected battery.

Directions say it should take about 45 minutes. Battery was startiing to dim but not run down too far. 2.5 hours later the charger still showed the Red still charging LED. Scared to leave it in any longer took it out - the NS was bright again so I assumed it was being charged.

Took my spare battery. Got out my very old analog voltmeter - the charger was putting out 4 volts. Checked the spare before charging - about 3.8 volts. 2 hours later the charger was still charging and had not shut off - battery now showed about 3.9 volts.

Those using the Nano charger with the Raw or Raw NS battery - is your charger shutting off (changing to the green LED) and how long is it taking? Do I have a defective Nano?

Last edited:

LumensUK

Newly Enlightened
The Nano charger actually takes several hours to charge a fully discharged Orb Raw Ns battery. It will eventually change to a green light and at that stage the battery should be charged to about 4.1 v.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm - maybe the first charge would take 45 minutes to get it up and running but I do believe LumensUK is correct that normally they take a couple hours - have never seen mine charge in 45 minutes to a green light. Sounds like yours is fine.

Grim Reape®!!!

Newly Enlightened
Had the same problem
The first time i charged the batteries for my RAW it took a little over 2 hours per battery
You'll notice the led slowly turns orange and after 10-15 more minutes it will turn solid green

D-Dog

Enlightened
I will comment as I charge RCR2's in the nano and they are around the same capacity as your battery (300mah). With a fully discharged battery, it can take up to 3-4 hours to charge. I noticed that the red starts to fade away as the voltage is around 4.05 volts and by 4.1 volts, only the green LED is left. If you leave it on longer, you can get a battery up to around 4.2 volts which is considered full capacity for a lithium-ion cell :)

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your nano sounds normal to me. Here's a few things to consider.

One is that the current supplied by the charger to the cell isn't fully used. Some of it is lost to heat, for example. Theoretically, a charger supplying 300mA of current would take exactly 1 hour to charge a 300mAh cell. In the real world, it simply takes longer.

Also, Lithium Ion rechargeable cells charge at different rates. 80-90% of the cell's capacity is filled within the first hour, but it can take 2-3 hours to get the last 10-20% in. That's just the nature of LithIon technology. I wouldn't get hung up on the 45 minute claim. I ignore it.

Also, remember that relying on voltage to determine a cell's charge state is very inexact. Without a pulse load tester for 4.2V cells, though, it's all most of us have access to. 4.2V does indicate a full charge on a new LithIon cell. As cycles build up on a particular cell, though, something less than 4.2V may indicate a full charge.

Last edited:

MountainMan

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys :)

Being that this is my first experience with unprotected cells I was worried that I had a Nano that was defective and was overcharging the battery.

I'll put the battery back it and not chicken out after 2.5 hours.

Would be nice if the directions were a little more accurate than the 45 minute number.

NS on low
P1010211.jpg

Last edited:

MountainMan

Newly Enlightened
Gave it another try and the Nano went to green full charge in three hours.

One strange thing happened - the LED still had a faint glow after turning off the light - turned it on and off a few times and it disappeared - somehow was still getting some current I guess.
:thanks:

mauiblue

Newly Enlightened
I got my new Orb Raw NS a few hours ago. I charged the spare battery and it took about an hour to charge. I also was concerned about the charger because it took more than an hour to charge the first battery. I charged the second battery and again it took about an hour and life is good...