High performance AA lights?

TheMechanic

Newly Enlightened
More in the "I've been away for a while" series...what currently made AA-powered lights have the brightest and/or longest throw beams?

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hold off for awhile and see what pops up with the new Cree or the Seoul P4. Right now, the Fenix or JetBeam 1 x AA set the standard.

-Goatee

tron3

Banned
I a-cree with Goatee. :)

While you can't go wrong with a Fenix, the new Cree LED's are giving flashaholic fixes we never saw before. Still contemplating the Fenix P1D-CE. I understand it won't like R-CR123 cells at 3.7 - 4.2v too much.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
If you don't mind a long handled light the newish MiniMag 3AA has excellent throw and overall output, and best of all is $15.98 at Home Depot for the rest of the month.

Geoff

TheMechanic

Newly Enlightened
I should clarify: I'm not interested in 1xAA lights in this category; I'm thinking more along the lines of 2, 3, or 4xAA.

Still wait for Cree?

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out this link. It is a light from ElektroLumens.

http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/ca...ser-id=&password=&exchange=&exact_match=exacthttp://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?store=elektrolumens&product=Flashlights&cart_id=2269734.21721&user-id=&password=&exchange=&exact_match=exact

"Lucidus-XR3
Lucidus-XR3, 3AA size, 3.6 watts, 160-185 lumens, Using the new, brighter and more efficient Cree XR-E LED. Battery life from 1 hours on alkalines up to 2.5 hours on high capacity NIMH rechargables. The main emphasis of the Lucidus-XR3 is max brightness, hence, run time is shorter than the Lucidus-XR2
$69.99"

TheMechanic

Newly Enlightened
Sort of related: have any of the "premium" LEDs gotten to the point where they are competitive (performance wise) with something like my beloved UltraStinger?

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bright, great throw, 4 AA, popularly priced production light, extremely durable, lifetime warranty, comfortable nice feel, good switch, very well thought of on CPF - StreamLight Polypro 4AA Luxeon can be had for $25-$30.

frasera

Newly Enlightened
as said, theres an excellent deal on the mag 3aa led at homedepot till the end of this month. good stop gap till cree comes down in price i guess, unless of course you are loaded;)

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
kitelights said:
Bright, great throw, 4 AA, popularly priced production light, extremely durable, lifetime warranty, comfortable nice feel, good switch, very well thought of on CPF - StreamLight Polypro 4AA Luxeon can be had for $25-$30.

I'm wondering whether Streamlight would produce a Propolymer 4AA with a cree unit with selectable levels?. Huge runtime ... huge brightness ... tough body. Perhaps the ultimate emergency car special if run with lithium batteries and on low mode ... that would be great.

Other than that my suggestion would be to wait another 2-3 months (hopefully less) for manufacturers like Fenix to come out with cree units on AA form factor.

Like an L2T with a cree. Big runtime with 100 plus lumens. :sold:

whippoorwill

Enlightened
If you can wait, I would. Things are going to get interesting in the flashlight world over the next year. The Fenix P1D-CE is only the beginning! I for one am waiting.