Glow Rings and Dumb Laws

Kirk

Enlightened
The Glow Ring fiasco goes right along with another dumb law I've encountered. I have a few scrimshawed sperm whale teeth at home. I bought my first scrimshawed tooth in Maui, Hawaii. A few years later I wanted to know more about the artist. I called the shop where I bought the tooth and was told they were not allowed to even TALK about it to anyone outside of Hawaii. Hawaii, USA. One of the fifty "united" states, at least last time I checked. It seems only a few states/towns can sell whale products--those that had large whaling fleets in the 1800s and early 1900s. Hello....I didn't want to buy anything, I just wanted information. Nope, the store can be closed down and the perpetrators sent to jail for doing any "interstate" commerce/talking/mailing. I can legally visit Hawaii and buy anything I want, but I have to hand carry it to the mainland--no shipping. Before this incident, I thought we had almost unlimited interstate commerce. Boy, was I wrong. Anybody else have tales of "harmless" products that are allowed in one state/city and not another? Guns, alcohol, and fireworks I assume don't count as harmless.
Kirk