Best 1 or 2 cell AA light?

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

If cost is no object, and the only really "fixed" requirement is that a light be powered by one or two AA cells, what is the best light currently available? I'm interested in brightness, waterproofness, ruggedness, and (hopefully) reasonable run time. I'm also ONLY interested in lights that can use Alkaline, Lithium and rechargeable AA batteries - only being able to use one kind of battery is reason enough for me to exclude a light from consideration. Just one other thing - I'm looking for a commonly available PRODUCTION flashlight, not a one-off custom job or modded light.

So... what do you think is currently the best 1 or 2 cell AA light out there?

Best wishes,
Bawko

Last edited:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the Maxlite II? For $20 shipped I sure like the Lumapower LM301. It will also
take 14500's I believe.

LowTEC

Enlightened
I think the current most powerful single AA light would be L1P-XRE from Fenix-store.com $99 :)

But I'm still waiting for my P1D-CE from David, it's been 18 days :(

lightUup

Newly Enlightened
Mini Maglite 2AA LED. Cheap, bright, durable, water-resistance, and good price.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
lightUup said:
Mini Maglite 2AA LED. Cheap, bright, durable, water-resistance, and good price.
It's a good light. I've got one, but considering he said "cost is no object", there are a lot better choices, like the Fenix L2T. The 2AA Maglite is lacking in the regulation. It's not a constant current flashlight like the L2T or a lot of the other better lights out there.

So, to the OP, here are 2 suggestions:

Fenix L2T

ElectroLumens Lucidus-XR2

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think the current best-buy is the Lumapower LM301 with it's easy-to-use 2-stage hi/low.

Last edited:

lukus

Enlightened
I know you said price is no object, but I have to back up the suggestions on the LM-301. At $20 shipped, quality is better than many $40 flashlights, it's regulated, will take anything you can stuff in the batt tube, has 2 levels, and has one of the smoothest beams you'll see. The price just means you can have several and won't cry if you lose one. Another plus is its ease of modding.

woodasptim

Newly Enlightened
LowTEC said:
I think the current most powerful single AA light would be L1P-XRE from Fenix-store.com $99
The MM L1P-XRE is brighter, but they are both modded lights so they would be excluded according to the topic.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the first Maxlite and really do like it, low & high are excellent for my needs and the build quality is as good as it gets!!

Delta447

Newly Enlightened
JetBeam-I, MK-II is a nice choice. Reasons are high output, multiple levels and serious battery flexibility. Out of the box, it is a single AA light. It takes alkaline, ni-cad and lithium ion. Don't have any AA's around, throw in a single AAA battery and it will work just fine. Want super high output? Run a 14500 rechargeable and your output climbs to maybe 75 lumens (That figure seems mild to me since the MK-II on the 14500 seems as bright as my SF L4 and easily out throws it). With the 14500 battery, the MK-II still retains its high, medium and low settings. Want to run a pair of AA's? Just pick up the optional extension tube and you get increased output. Want to run 123A batteries? Yes, you can buy the 123A tube for this light as well. I used to be a Surefire devotee until I got the MK-II. My single complaint is the lack of a clip option for the MK-II. Other people might not like the inability to modify the level of your settings or the reverse clickie mechanism, but nothing is perfect.

paxxus

Enlightened
lrp said:
I have the first Maxlite and really do like it, low & high are excellent for my needs and the build quality is as good as it gets!!
What's the runtime and lumens on an alkaline?

moses

Enlightened
Cost no object? And if you don't need waterproofing, DEFINITELY for me the Millermods L1P modded for 3 stage. SUPERB light that is my daily EDC. I've mine set for 3 stages and on the lowest stage, more than enough to negotiate with dark adjusted eye and still run something like 30-40 hours on one full charge. Highest stage is 1 hour and about 1.5-1.8 watts. PLENTY of light.

Mo

iced_theater

Enlightened
paxxus said:
What's the runtime and lumens on an alkaline?
  • Quantity/ Battery type - single/AA battery, alkaline, NiMH, lithium
  • Battery life (High):
  • Duracell alkaline - 65 minutes on high.
  • 2500mAh rechargeable NiMH - 2 hours, 27 minutes (147 minutes.) Ending voltage, voltage protection enabled at 1.0 volts.
  • Battery life (low) - 2500 NiMH - 20 hours, 50 minutes (1250 minutes.) Ending voltage = 1.02 volts.
Straight from www.LightHound.com :)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Unless you're in a big hurry the best light is probably the 1 or 2 cell AA Cree based light that is going to be showing up in days if not hours. I'm starting to get impatient.

Geoff

Latest posts