Fraud on Costco CC

benyosh

Newly Enlightened
Yikes !!! Somebody was making unauthorized charges to my Costo credit card. I found out today after my cc was turned down the last two days -- i thought maybe it was zaaped by a magnet or something.

Total charges amounted to over $500.00.

I'm not sure how this happened but it's so frustrating. I felt sick to my stomach -- same feeling as when my stereo and subwoofer box were stolen from my car.

Luckily, Amex has started a fraud investigation and will credit me back for the amount in question. The only good thing that happened was one charge was made to the American Red Cross. Crook with a conscience?

Edit: I'm going to try to go to bed now...it's been a long day.

coppertrail

Enlightened
This happened to me about 4 years ago with my Discover card. Their credit protection fept. called me and asked me to confirm a legitimate charge on my card. Then, they asked if I'd made a purchase from Dell Home Sales, which I had not. I believe they charged about $1700. She said it didn't appear that I made the Dell purchase, which is why they called. I wasn't charged for the fradulent purchases, and they promptly closed my acccount and issued me a new credit card with a new account number. It is a scary feeling.

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
10 days ago my AMEX got hit with fraud as well. Lots of charges for airline tickets from an airline in India.

I had to have my card re-issued, still waiting on my replacement.

It pisses me off. I have had that card since 1983. Knew the number by heart, had a bunch of monthly bills being paid automatically through it. Now I have to wait for a new card and redo all my recurring accounts.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
coppertrail said:
This happened to me about 4 years ago with my Discover card.

My wife and I have a joint Discover card, and about once every 18 months our card gets declined when trying to make a purchase. So we call Discover and they say the card has been compromised and a new one is on the way.

Yeah it's rude of them to wait for me to call instead of them calling proactively, but the inconvenience is also an easy way to get 0 APR for the next year. :) (You have to talk to someone in retention - the security dept doesn't care if you close the account.)

coppertrail

Enlightened
Just out of curiosity, did they explain why you're not being proactively notified?

Hey, you can't beat a year of 0%, especially with Discover :)

duffman

Newly Enlightened
amex sent me a letter a few months ago saying that some suspicious charges were being made on my card (i have a costco amex too) at first i was like WTF!??? but then when i review the charges... it took me a while to figure out what it was... because they dont tell you what the charge is... but only the ammout... turns out the charge was made AT costco and that I made the charges.... o_O