Keychain light...E0, E1, or L0D??

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened
Getting a gift for a friend. Can't decide which one. They all seem to be around the same size.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
While they are all about the same size they all offer different levels of brightness and runtimes. All are good for what they do. Check the flashlightreviews site and numerous old posts for endless discussions. You will find more info on the L0Pse, which is an older, but very similar predecessor of the L0D. In short, the E0 is dim (relatively) but runs forever at a constant output, the L0D has multi-levels with one that's real bright but much shorter running, and the E1 has one in between level that it maintains (good regulation) for a couple hours.

Geoff

supes

Enlightened
I have the E0 Dart and LOD SE. I REALLY like both.

E0:
-longer runtime like 10+ hours
-smaller
-simple 5mm LED(blue-ish tint)
-cheaper

LOD:
-Little more length and weight
-Lux III
-Brighter
-More modes
-Can use Li-Ion battery to get even brighter
-twice the price of the E0

I like the form factor of the E0 better and the twisting is just about perfect(maybe I need to lube up the LOD threads). I basically wish I could have the internals of a LOD in the E0 body. That's just me though.
What requirements do you have? Is runtime a factor? Do you know if its going to be a keychain light or daily use light? If it just an average non-flasholic then I'd say the E0 would be just right. But I don't have a E1 so my opinion is only half way there. :)

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an E1 on my keychain. It replaced my CS-modded Keymate, which I still use on occasion because it has a smoother beam and is just as bright. I like the E1 because it has a candle-mode feature (remove the top bezel while keeping the bottom part of the head on the body). I got the E1 free tho. If I were to buy one, I'd probably prefer the E0 since I don't usually need a lot of light from my keychain light and prefer runtime. I always have another light on me when more light is needed. I also don't like to spend too much on a keychain light. If the end user doesn't mind having to switch modes (most people I know don't want that hassle or can't figure it out, some like it tho) and the L0D is within your budget, it's a good choice. Otherwise, I'd say the E0 since it has great runtime and a smoother beam than the E1 (I do notice the ringiness of the E1 beam in actual usage...sometimes a bit annoying as items I'd like to see at the same time fall into the darker ring areas).

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys! I'm gonna get the E0. I read a few posts and even though on paper the E1 is brighter, in real life it's hardly noticable.......

arty

Enlightened
I tried to use my EO at night after waking up at 4AM, and it was TOO bright....way too bright.

Next time, I am going to try my L1 on low (with FO4 diffuser). If that is too bright, I'll try out the red filter on the L1.

The EO has plenty of useful light.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill97z said:
Getting a gift for a friend. Can't decide which one. They all seem to be around the same size.

I carry both an E0 on one bunch of keys and an ancient Mag Solitaire on another bunch.

If the E0 turns out to be as durable as the Solitaire - only time will tell - then it is close to the perfect keychain light for me.

I have no need at all for an ultra-bright, short-runtime keychain light. I have no need for a keychain light with multiple brightness levels controlled by a twisty head.

KISS: keep it simple stupid.

Old School. Reliable. On or off.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Here is some data I posted in the Reviews Forum:

1. My test rig does NOT measure lumens, does measure Fc@1Ft.

2. I dont use rechargeable batteries...mostly alkalines and Li.

3. Here are some runtime and max Fc@1Ft measurments:

...............................Runtime Alk...Runtime Li...Fc@1Ft Alk......Fc@1Ft Li

Fenix E0....................10h 50m......12h...........21 [email protected] Fc@1Ft

Fenix E1....................3h.............4h 46m.........89 [email protected] Fc@qFt

Fenix L0P...................1h.............1h 29m.........142 [email protected] Fc@1Ft

Huntlight FT-A3.........53m...........1h 37m........ 93 [email protected] Fc@1Ft

UltraFire WF-602C.....32m...........1h 15m.........123 [email protected] Fc@1Ft

4. Here are 4 AAA lights side by each:

pocket2.jpg

UltraFire 602C, HuntLight FT-A3, Fenix E1, Fenix L0P

HaChayalBoded

Newly Enlightened
I have an E1 on my keychain. It replaced my CS-modded Keymate, which I still use on occasion because it has a smoother beam and is just as bright.

OLD post I know, but can I get some info on the CS-mod?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the E1 on my keychain but tuck a LiteFlux LF2X single AAA Cree light in the small side pocket of my Leatherman Charge holster. The LiteFlux is great because it will run 4 to 5 hours on low with an Eneloop and belt out the lumens for over an hour on high.

The E1 works well as a general purpose keychain light just put your finger over the head to block most of the beam at 4AM in the dark.