Ordered LumaPower LM301, got D-mini

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I placed an order for the LumaPower LM301, and when the packaged arrived today it was a D-mini. :huh:

At first, I was disappointed, but then it sunk in....I have a D-mini! It was a little out of my price range right now for a single light purchase, so I had not even considered buying one. But, I think that I am going to like it!

So, my first order of business now is to get that LM301. Second, wait for nightfall to play with my new light!

datiLED

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
*Edited because I misread the OP*

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the best thing to do would be to pay for the D-Mini and ask them to send you an actual LM301. Then you'd be fulfilling the "buy both" CPF requirement. :grin2:

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my reply from LumaPower, and they told me to keep the light! They said that the shipping costs of returning the D-mini, and sending out the LM301 were too much, and asked only for my impressions of the D-mini.

They were glad that I let them know about the shipping error, so they could have an accurate stock count. If the LM30X series is built anything like the D-mini, they must be awesome. The LM301 is on my must have list. I can't wait to see what they introduce in February.

Derek

easilyled

Flashaholic
ROVER said:
I hope you'll do the right thing rather than take advantage of someone's mistake.

If he was the type to take advantage he wouldn't have posted this
thread in the first place.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
fnmag said:
Was your D-Mini black or silver?
It is the standard black.

easilyled said:
If he was the type to take advantage he wouldn't have posted this thread in the first place.
Thank you.

I was interested to see if anyone else had a similar experience. I would have shipped the light back if Ricky had requested that I do so. At first, I thought that he may have "upgraded" my light on purpose, based on some e-mail exchanges that I had with him regarding LumaPower products. It was simply a shipping error that worked out in my favor, because the return and replacement costs were too much for LumaPower to retain their profit margin.

LumaPower is going to be the big dog in 2007, when it comes to import flashlights. They have it all: Quality products, quick product development and improvement based on customer feedback, and they are probably the best value per dollar spent.

Based on what I have seen of LumaPower so far, I will be spending most of my flashlight money on their products next year. Especially if they come out with an AAA and CR2 light (CREE, or not).

Derek

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
DatiLED, so you did have a Merry Christmas! I'm also impressed with LumaPower and will post accordingly when my D-Mini finally arrives.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trashman said:
datiLED, I'm still waiting to hear the part where you were blown away by it's power and throw (assuming...)!

OK, I am seriously blown away by the power and throw. I have never experienced a light this bright. I was illuminating trees over 400 feet away with no problem. (I would have lit up the houses, but I didn't want anyone to call the police.) The beam is tight, but, at the same time, there is a tremendous amount of sidespill that illuminates everything in front of the light to some degree. I lit up the the shed in the back yard, 75 to 80 feet away, and could see my feet and the grass around me. The light is most impressive in total darkness.

My first impression was that the head was a little bigger than I expected it would be. However, the light is compact and fits into my hand comfortably. The machining and anodizing are flawless. The XR-E is perfectly centered in the reflector. The light feels quite solid, but is not what I would consider heavy at all. The threads are so smooth and well machined, that when the end of the light is unscrewed, it feels like two lubricated, smooth surfaces against each other. There is no roughness to the threading at all. When the cap is screwed back on, it doesn't feel like it is going to crossthread. Shaking the light does not produce any rattles of any sort. Even the battery is still, but not tight.

Now the beam is a white wall hunter's nightmare. It is ringy and the hot spot shows some color fluctuations within the tight, even circle of light. But if you are looking at what you are illuminating, or outside the house, you will never notice it. I would not want to change the reflector, if it meant losing some of the throw. Basically, it is a non-issue if you are going to use the light.

LumaPower really did a great job with this light. The only change that I would want to see, is the addition of a two stage switch. High and low. That is it.

As I said earlier in this thread, LumaPower will be getting the lions share of my flashlight funds in 2007. Not because I got a D-mini instead of an LM301, but because the quality of the light that I have in my hands is amazing. And remember, this thing was designed, built and distributed in record time. It was not based on a similar model, either.

Just my opinion.

Derek

Haz

Enlightened
Looking at the pics of the Lumapower range of lights, i'm very impressed with the appearance, especially the contact points for the positive end of the battery. It looks pretty solid compared to other lights i have seen and used that consist of solder on the circuit board.

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
My apologies to datiLED. I honestly either misread your post or wasn't thinking last night. I totally took it wrong. I'm sorry. On that note, good job being honest.

lumapower

Newly Enlightened
Hi datiLED, and all CPFer

Happy New Year. :)

Thanks for your comments to D-Mini.

Best Rgds.

Ricky - Lumapower Team

Latest posts