Will your children have as much fun?

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I was laying in bed last night playing with my flashlights before retiring, and I took my Fenix E1 and L2P under the covers. It dawned on me that something is terribly wrong with LED lights. They are so bright now, that playing with them under the covers just doesn't seem to have that charm it did when I was a kid. Granted, at 40 years old, I am almost grown up now, but as a kid I remember my flimsy 1AA cell Eveready flashlight, with it's dim, sickly yellow flickering glow, providing much more enchanting fun under the sheets than these intense white LED's! I have no children, but I worry that the next generation will be sorely missing out on a rite of passage if someday there are no more 1AA incandescent flashlights for the children of the world to play with.

Last edited:

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try it with a little tiny LED light.

I seem to recall it was mostly about putting one over on our parents,
who thought we were asleep.

Mr_Light

Enlightened
Are you kidding, our kids wil have fun with their thought controled lights with infinitly variable color and intensity! All in a package the size of a PIN head!

simonsays

Newly Enlightened
Buy yourself a Mag Solitaire and re-live the glory days of dim yellow beams under the bedcovers
rolleye11.gif

Simon

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
My three year old daughter loves playing tent under blankets with her Princess LED and my RR lantern. Here she is with her Princess LED. Its decently bright with the Nichia LED that it uses.

clara_flashlight1.jpg

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I give my little one my old ican lights as I don't want her throwing around my nicer ones. When she is older I will get her a good one.

GreySave

Enlightened
Interesting that no one here finds it even remotely strange that an adult would be playing with flashlights in bed, and then take them under the covers as well. Could it be that more of us do the same? :whistle:

Seriously though, and sadly as well, I have to agree with Turbo. I think that today's children miss out on a lot of things we used to do and enjoy as children. Back then, there were no video games or home computers for a child to be attached to all day. Our play was about imagination and adventure, whether it was an outdoors game or a hike in the woods. We wanted to spend as much time outdoors playing as possible. Technology is a wonderful thing in many ways, but I think it does have its negative side as well. If its use by children is not controlled by the parents I fear that today's children will miss out on many of the wonders of childhood, as well as missing out on the social skills we learned (sometimes painfully) by interacting with each other on so many levels.