Cell phone service / Which one?

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Depends on your area. I recently changed from a great plan with one company to a not as good plan with another company because my reception at work was terrible or non-existant. Point being there are many things to consider and a bargain is not always a bargain. The best bet is to find someone in your neighborhood that is pleased with their reception and doesn't get many or any dropped calls. Then, wait for a special from that provider and hook up. As time goes on the offerings from one company to the next seems to be getting closer and closer. I do like one feature of my new service though, when I call someone using my same provider I don't get charged minutes. Many of us here at work use the same provider for that reason.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second what Diesel Dave said.

My cell phone service in Houston (I won't mention the name on purpose, but it is one of the national big companies)is ok but not great. I also have a relitavely expensive (at the time) Motorala TimePort phone. I went on a trip, and used my phone at the pittsburg (I think) airport, and the quality was amazing! It was like a corded phone, with a great connection.

You have to treat my phone service in Houston almost like a two way radio, only one person can talk at a time.

So I think, insteading of asking a question in general, find out what services are working great in your area.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Agree with Budd and Dave and I'd add a couple of points.

Getting a phone/company that works great in your area is very important, but it's also helpful to look at your pattern of use to make a broader judgement.

I live and work in a city where Verizon is the carrier of choice; it works better, in more areas of the city than its competitors. But I chose AT&T for three reasons based on my usage pattern which involves a fair amount of travel within the US and between the US and Canada. AT&T was the highest rated carrier nationally, that gave best service in the largest number of US cities (according to at least one national study as of about 6 months ago)

The second reason was that its "Canada Calling" option was highly thought of and got better recommendations from friends who had tried Verizon and possbly others in Canada.

Finally, even though AT&T's local service was less comprehensive than Verizon's (Sprint is pretty bad in my city), it was still quite good, though Verizon is the only carrier that functions in my place of work, even in the sub basement! They probably have a repeater nearby

So, that's why I chose the "second best" carrier.

Brightnorm

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I am in Houston, and I ain't ashamed in any way to mention my provider is Cingular.

About 95% of the time I am pleased as can be. I traveled to South Dakota recently and payed a fairly stiff tarriff for it. But in and around the city here, it's just peachy!

The newest commercials for "T Mobile" sound pretty good. We almost changed to "Nextel" but didn't because we'd have needed to change our cell #s (And business cards and invoices!).

I would suggest as others did that you find out what others are happy with in your area!

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got Cellular service on 07 NOV 2002. I got Verizon and a Kyocera 2235 phone. I got the local plan, since I rarely travel and then only to Hinckley or Columbus, OH (local area for Verizon here), I can call worldwide with NO LD charges. With the Nationwide version of the Plan, all Verizon areas Nationwide are the local calling area (and some providers with agreements). I also have the unlimited nights and weekends (no airtime off regular minutes), which is really why I got it, as I chat with a friend in Hinckley every weekend. Saves me a bunch in in-state long distance (most expensive kind).

My plan costs me $40/month, but the nationwide version of same would be $50/month. (500 anytime, 1000 Verizon to Verizon 24/7, and unlimited Verizon to twisted pair for nights and weekends).

No matter which provider you get, IF you are in a building with metal sides (including alminum sided houses), you will likely have problems using the cellphone, unless you can get next to a window.

As with the others here, I also say look around at the providers in your area for coverage and plans, then pick the best one that meets (or exceeds) your needs.

I was willing to pay extra for the unlimited nights and weekends, but didn't need to. Other than my friend, all I needed it for is to call a cab or my mom.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Believe it or not I have never owned/aquired my own cell phone. Have always been using ones issued from work. Now I need to get one of my own. Which company/provider has the bet service for the money? What am I looking at paying monthly? What I want is one that will allow me to talk alot for cheap and not kill me if I'm out-of-state when using it. What would you guys reccomend? And all these calling plans, I'm confused
confused.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to find the right carrier for you, you must find dealers that allow you to take a demo phone for a few days and try out. Try it everywere you normally travel. Then pick a provider that offers the sevice area that covers your daily travels. If you only travel out of town for vacation once or twice a year then I wouldn't get a national plan that costs more per month just in case you use it once on vacation. It's just not economical. However, if you travel a lot then get a national plan.

Be sure you know what roaming means.
smile.gif

Cell phones are more of a hobby for me than flashlights. I've been using cell phones for 11 years. I used to work for Ameritech cellular in the repair dept. until we got downsized during the Verizon merger. There are different digital technologies used by wireless carriers:

Verizon uses 800MHZ CDMA digital technology which is probably the best. Cingular uses 800MHZ GSM (they used to use TDMA)

Nextel uses a proprietary version of TDMA on thier iden network at 800MHZ.

True PCS providers like AT&T (GSM), Sprint (CDMA), T-Mobile (GSM) operate at 1900MHZ.

1900MHZ is more reflective and doesn't penetrate buildings as well as 800MHZ.

CDMA is more robust than GSM or TDMA and is the best compression method in my opinion. But a bad phone or bad network implementation can ruin all that. I know people who have phones from all of the above & are happy with them.

I live in the St. Louis metro area and have Sprint. I use Sprint because they cover were I live pretty well, so I can take advantage of my free long distance minutes by using my phone in my house. Most other carriers in my area don't have a cell tower near my house so coverage isn't as good. Also, Sprint covers all my normal travel routes better than any other carrier & they also have a cell tower right out side the building I work in. When I figure in thier service plan that works for me($30 for 300 peak & unlimited off-peak w/free long distance), Sprint is the carrier for me. I have friends that disagree though because you pay roaming charges with Sprint if you travel to a city were there is no sprint service.

Be careful with providers that claim to have a national network. Cingular, for example, claims no roaming if you are on their national network. Look at the maps carefully. Off network roaming still applies, so they don't really cover the nation. Be sure they do cover were you are going to use the phone. Some providers do offer true nationwide calling & no roam charges like AT&T but plans start out pretty high ($59.99).

Again, a demo phone is the best way to test out a providers network. If they don't offer a demo, see if they offer a 14-30 day cancellation policy. So you can drop the service and return your phone if the service sucks.

Before you settle on a phone, go to epinions.com and look up the phone model you want and find out what others are saying about it.

Don't just take a provider because the phone is "free" with them. I would much rather pay for a phone that works, and pay less per month, than have a free phone that is a POS.

Also realize that if you sign a 1-2 year contract and get a free or other deal on the phone that it's a one time deal. If you drop the phone next week and the display breaks, it's not covered under warrany and you will have to pay full retail price for a replacement. The phone's warranty doesn't cover it being dropped. You can also check to see if the provider offers insurance to cover your phone from damage (like from dropping it) or theft.

Try to get a phone that dual band, dual mode or tri-mode. You want to at least have the ability to switch to analog. Most of the coverage in the US is analog. I know that Voicestream aka T-Mobile used to never offer dual-band/dual-mode phones, so if you traveled out of thier coverage area, you were out of luck. I don't know if this has changed but it's something you should ask about.

Hope this helps.
wink.gif

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best Buy sells Sprint phones and service and they have a warranty plan were you can replace the phone if it is lost or broken. I'm tough on my equipment, I broke a phone and had it replaced on the spot at Best Buy.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking to be traveling up and down the east coast and want ot be able to reach home without paying an arm and a leg for it. Maybe a pager or text messaging service?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by webley445:
I'm looking to be traveling up and down the east coast and want ot be able to reach home without paying an arm and a leg for it. Maybe a pager or text messaging service?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You will probably be better off with a phone. Pagers don't work any better. Just like a phone, you need to be near a tower for a pager to work. And in my opinion, nationwide paging is hit-n-miss.

Just stop by some local dealers, or check them out online and look at the coverage maps for the east coast. I think one of the big name companies should be able to give you a good monthly deal & coverage up and down the east coast.

Also, get a phone with an external antenna. They pick up better, especially when your traveling/roaming.

And get a 12v DC car charger!
smile.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Azreal911:
your best bet for selecting a cell phone provider and cells phones would be to check this.

www.howardforums.com

that's all they talk about.
enjoy
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks for the link, didn't know about that site. Too bad they have pop-up adds.