Warm White LEDs? Devices?

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I haven't seen anything lately on the warm LEDs. Is there anything new? Has anyone made any lights with them or is anyone willing to? I remember something about a good Luxeon.
We use, in our off grid home, kerosene lamps. I'm looking for something to replace them now that I have a bigger solar system and kerosene prices are so high. Thanks for any tips or offers.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wits' End said:
I haven't seen anything lately on the warm LEDs. Is there anything new?
Yes!! Edison Edixeon recently claims a product coming that produces 70 lm at 350mA in a Warm White product. This is even a bigger % increase over previous WW product performance than the Cree XR-E over it's cooler white competitors.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm waiting on a warm white LED based on the Cree EZ1000 chip (XR-E chip) to make some more home lighting projects.

Last edited:

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quote: I'm waiting on a warm white LED based on the Cree EZ1000 chip (XR-E chip) to make some more home lighting projects.

The Edison Edixeon product I mentioned is in fact based on the Cree EZ1000 dice.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see some 3, 5, 8 and 10 mm LEDs on Ebay. Some 12, 18, 110 and 220V fixtures.
1W warm white MR 16 12V
Prolight 3W High Power Warm White LED 80 Lumen
I searched for { "warm White" LED } 80+ hits.
Any how I want a light I can use to see what these look like. I suppose I can get a fixture for an MR-16.
A flashlight would be nice though. My family was at a friends house after dark a little while ago. The dad came in after work and said "I came over the hill and saw all these blue lights around the barn and then realized the Lattins are here" . Nice to be recognized for carrying flashlights :)

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
the XRE has some real good Warmish White bins ... and they do around 100 lm/1.2watt....

are you looking at incand warm white?

Edit: read below.

Last edited:

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quote ViReN: the XRE has some real good Warm White bins ... and they do around 100 lm/1.2watt.

Are you sure? My Cree XR-E Binning and Labeling document shows nothing below a CCT of 5000K unlike the XR's which were offered in warm white.

bitslammer

Enlightened
I've bought a few bulbs from : http://www.superbrightleds.com/edison.html and have been very happy. I did have one night light bulb go dead but the E27-W36-G
Edison Base bulb with 36 Super Bright 5mm LEDs is quite nice in my desk lamp. It rates as as 120 VAC consumes 2.2 Watts - produces 51 lumens.

I'm hoping they update their products because they have great prices. I also looked at www.theledlight.com They have some neat looking items too but they are a bit pricey across the board. (?? $73.50 for an Inova X03 ???) :thumbsdow

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ken_McE said:
The Acolyte people make 12 volt 25 and 50 superflux LED strips. I've used their cool white and found them quite satisfactory:

http://www.acolyteled.com/s1-striplytes.html

They happen to be on ebay also :) I have a bid in on 6 of the warm white strips.
I also contacted the manufacturer of the strip lights. Can anyone say Group Buy? ;)

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wits' End said:
I also contacted the manufacturer of the strip lights. Can anyone say Group Buy? ;)

Actually, I was thinking of getting another dozen or so in January. I've finished installation of the last batch.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ken, how much light do those strips put out and how much were they per x length?

Wits, the beam of the white light on the right of the photo looks odd. They are using half acryllic balls to collimate the light. The result should be a very define output just like the ones on the left. However, you will see quite a hotspot on the cool white ones. :huh2: Also those MR16s run too hot for the body size