E2e questions

My girlfriend gave me an E2e for Christmas and I have a few questions.

First, I'd like to know which version/generation it is. It's mostly dark grey with the exception of the hex part of the head which is a lighter color, almost greenish, it appears to be natural color (not OD or black). It has the "SUREFIRE" logo and the serial number on one side, and "E2E (line break) EXECUTIVE ELITE" and "US PATENTS 6547415, 6712485" on the other side. It has a short clip, and bezel is very slightly crenelated. It has a clicky tailcap (slight pressure for momentary, more for click on/off), and it locks out with 1/4 turn, but there is no dot on either the body or tailcap to line up.

Second, I've noticed that when I have the light on for about a minute, the reflector appears to "fog up". I don't think it's moisture, but the outer half of the reflector gets a very slight whitish tint to it. The area nearest the bulb remains shiny silver. After the light cools off, the "fog" disappears. It doesn't seem to affect the output, so I'm just wondering if this is normal. I don't think it's anything to send it back about unless it's going to cause a heat problem.

That is all, any help is appreciated.

Matt

carrot

Flashaholic
Next time the light fogs up, just unscrew the bezel and put the lamp in a safe place, put the bezel lens-down on a table and let the evaporation clear out. After I did that a few times, the fog stopped coming back on my A2 Aviator. It is normal, but not that frequent an occurrence.

If you post a picture it will be much more easily identifiable. But if the body on the E2e is rounded (as opposed to flat sided) then it is the newer model.

Here is a picture:
IMG_2526.png

I don't know if you can tell, but the three sides (one clip and two printing) are slightly flatter than the knurled sections, still rounded though.

Matt

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your Girlfriend Rocks!

Get a MN02 lamp. Plenty bright and twice the runtime.

kelmo

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me second kelmo's suggestion and get that MN02 lamp as a backup. It's almost as bright as the MN03 but it'll maintain its brightness longer due to consuming only 1/2 the current from the cells. The MN03 dims sooner and drops below the MN02 level unless regularly fed fresh cells. This gives you two brightness options depending upon the anticipated mission.

Carrot's fix will work if moisture is your problem. In other cases, like mine, either the reflector coating is defective or something volatile deposited on the surface. This is a well known problem with the E series reflectors and SF will replace the head upon request. The problem doesn't noticeably reduce output but it may spread the beam a bit more. I haven't bothered to have mine replaced yet.

This being a recurring issue, I wonder why SF hasn't fixed it?

carrot
Your suggestion seems to make the problem go away for a while. How many times should I get it hot and remove the head for the best results?

kelmo
I've already got an MN02 on the way, should be here tomorrow.

jayflash
If I end up having to send it back, I'd probably wait until I have a KL1 so I can use it in the meantime. Does SureFire pay for return shipping?

Heck

Enlightened
The foggy film on the reflector when hot has been talked about before. I haven't found a solution to get rid of it, but I've had a few E2e's and they all did the same thing. My feeling is with the coating in the reflector, but I could be wrong. I don't know if replacing it under SF Warranty will fix it either. I mean, because of their World Class C.S., they'll replace/fix it because you are unhappy, but I think this is how they are (not designed but ended up this way) and you'll just get one that does the same anyway. Furthermore, some will say this is a "tactical" light and it shouldn't be left on like that and also some have mentioned that it doesn't affect output anyway. It bothers me, but I can live with it.

I don't believe removing and letting it "air" out works, I've tried that before. If you do try it though, be careful with the bulb, it's scorching hot.

And yeah, Surefire pays to return the item to you, but you got to pay to ship it to Surefire.

kelmo said:
Your Girlfriend Rocks!

Yeah, this is a very nice gift. She's really enjoying the Fenix L1P I surprised her with on a camping trip a while back, I think she "gets" the flashlight thing. She may not be as obsessed as I am, but she doesn't think I'm totally crazy either.

Matt

photovoltaic

Newly Enlightened
Hi Matt,
I have an E2E and it did the same thing that you described. It never appeared to me to be condensate or moisture. Instead, it looked like white crystals. It bugged me and so I called SF. They did not want me to send the light in. They just mailed me another head. The new head doesn't fog up. I got the new head in one week.
John

photovoltaic said:
Hi Matt,
I have an E2E and it did the same thing that you described. It never appeared to me to be condensate or moisture. Instead, it looked like white crystals. It bugged me and so I called SF. They did not want me to send the light in. They just mailed me another head. The new head doesn't fog up. I got the new head in one week.
John

Thanks, I might give that a try on Monday. If the second one does it though, I'm not going to bug them anymore. I don't notice it when I'm using it, only when I'm looking at it.

Matt

Perfusion

Newly Enlightened
electromage said:
Thanks, I might give that a try on Monday. If the second one does it though, I'm not going to bug them anymore. I don't notice it when I'm using it, only when I'm looking at it.

Matt
You mean Tuesday... Mon. is New Year's Day. :ohgeez: :)