Twintask 3c question

Kentonzen

Newly Enlightened
Hello! I'm TOTALLY new to flashlights, and am thinking of the twintask 3c as my first. My question is this -- there is the regular LED option, and the UV LED option. Which should I get? I'm very interested in the uv capabilities, but I don't know how well it will work as 'visible' light. In other words, if I'm going to venture into, say, a cave, (or just walking through the house at night) will the uv LEDs give me a good beam of visible light? Or is it only good for specific tasks such as finding scorpions, cat pee, or blood? =)
Thanks for your help!

Kenton

Topper

Flashaholic*
Welcome to CPF. I wish I could answer that however I only have a couple of the standard ones. I also wonder as to how UV the UV model is. The UV lights I have are cheap ones that have a very visible purpleish beam. I think the really good ones have?? no visible beam? I do not know, I would love to hear from a person that has a twintask 3c with the UV LED's.
Topper

atm

Enlightened
I have a TT 3C UV. The UV LEDs are great for "UV stuff" but not much good for producing visible light. Compared to some cheaper UV lights I have the TT produces much less visible light but is significantly better at illuminating the things which fluoresce under UV.

I think part of this is due to the fact that it has the 2 different wavelength UV LEDs, and I imagine that as Topper suggests they are better quality than the cheap ones I have to compare the TT with.

Walking through the house at night with the UV only is a bit freaky. There's a dull 'purpley-blue' patch of visible light that is difficult to see by, but when it hits something that flouresces (such as bright coloured linen which glows like crazy thanks to the washing powder) you get a bright blue light that contrasts strongly with the darkness and ruins your dark-adapted vision.

It's also worth keeping in mind that UV light can be harmful to the eyes.

I consider the TT UV to be very good at what it was designed for; UV and a decent incan, but if you want to use the LEDs for general illumination definitely go for the non-UV version. If you also want a cheap UV light to experiment with the cheapies do work quite well, eg http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1543

Andrew

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are totally new to flashlights as you've said this would not make a good pick as your first "good" flashlight.

I'm afraid that this light might be a waste in terms of both a UV light and a regular light.

UV lights some very specific uses, if you have a need for something like a UV light, get something more specific for your tasks.

Kentonzen

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input. Atm -- I appreciated that explanation of the uv -- a scientist friend of mine explained that if it was a 'good' uv, there wouldn't be much visible light, but there was no way of knowing what the 3c uv was like. Now I know, and will definitely go with the regular if I do a TT3c. Double A, what would you recommend as a good starter light? I definitely want something that can be less bright and long lasting (for around the house at night), but can beam into the yard (we live in the country with no lights anywhere in the vicinity) to see if that's the bear rooting around in the front yard.