L1T or P1D for EDC

C

charge

I have been looking at the L1T for awhile. I like the size and the clickie switch. I just started looking at the P1D. The size is okay, would prefer a clickie, really like the higher output and lower low than the L1T. The price difference is not an issue. I know I would have to stock up on 123s as opposed to the more common AAs.

I would carry either in a belt holster (I dont like stuff in my pockets). I carry a minimag now so the twistie is not really a big issue. My work is handyman type stuff(a little of everything). Is the P1D awkward being so small? Does the holster offer good retention/protection?

Again, any info on these two lights for EDC would be greatly appreciated.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an L2T with a CR123 tube... Great for EDC since it shortens it beyond the 1AA and still has the brightness of the L2T!

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Valpo Hawkeye said:
I have an L2T with a CR123 tube... Great for EDC since it shortens it beyond the 1AA and still has the brightness of the L2T!

+1 Great little set-up.

BTW, the Fenix sheaths are quite sturdy and retain the light well (if you go for an LxT with CR123 body you should order a P1 sheath for it...fits nice!)

CFU

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the L1T with CR123 body. The low is a good level and will run for hours and hours with good regulation. The regualr AA body is good if you want to use widely available alkalines. I briefly had a P1D and I found one handed operation difficult because it kept prematurely activating when turning the head. I would recommend the L1T to start. In your kind of work there are probably always AA's lying around and if you like the light you could buy the CR123 body later.

PAB

Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost
grapplex said:
Don't waste your money. Wait. 4sevens almost certainly stopped selling the modded L1P's because Fenix informed him they were coming out with an AA and 2 AA Cree version. He had to yank the competing product under his vendor agreement. Think about it they have all the parts. Same body as L1T/L2T, same reflector as P1D CE (hopefully tweaked) and the same driver as the L0D. It's just a matter of time. They are waiting for P1D mania to die down so they can have all us droolers buying L1D's TOO rather than INSTEAD OF.

The above is my speculation. But it's a no brainer.

I've been speculating along similar lines. It's only a matter of time. Hopefully, they start using some of the better bins as they become more available.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
grapplex said:
Don't waste your money. Wait. 4sevens almost certainly stopped selling the modded L1P's because Fenix informed him they were coming out with an AA and 2 AA Cree version. He had to yank the competing product under his vendor agreement. Think about it they have all the parts. Same body as L1T/L2T, same reflector as P1D CE (hopefully tweaked) and the same driver as the L0D. It's just a matter of time. They are waiting for P1D mania to die down so they can have all us droolers buying L1D's TOO rather than INSTEAD OF.

The above is my speculation. But it's a no brainer.

Sorry, not even close :) This is totally not true. Fenix has not told me anything
about a AA cree light. But I wouldn't doubt it if they are working on something.
I'm not told anything until it's ready to go. :)

The REAL reason is that I was overwhelmed with mods. If you've noticed
I've pulled most of my mods (for the PD, 27LT, etc) The only one left
is the XR-E mod for the ion which I've put up a specific quantity
because I have a batch of already modded modules.

I'll be traveling for most of January and will not offer modding options
again until late January or the beginning of February. Don't worry I have
shipping elves working while I'm away. Now if I can only train them to
do mods :thinking:

C

charge

Would the L1T be a better choice if I had to choose between these two?

Its so hard to wait:scowl: when you want something huh. I just bought a nite ize 3 LED/clickie dropin for my 2AA minimag. I like it better than the incan but I still know a Fenix will be more impressive. These two are at the top of my price range. Just worried that the L1D CE will be out of my price range any ways:ohgeez:.

Lastly, is the L1T with CR123 body really alot brighter than the 1AA?

I really prefer the clickie so I am leaning that way.

Thanks to All

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
4sevens said:
Fenix has not told me anything
about a AA cree light.

Have they told you anything about an AAA Cree light? :naughty:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
The high on the L1T with CR123 (3 Volts) is noticeably brighter than the single AA (1.5 Volts). It is most noticeable when switching from low to high. With the AA, there does not seem to be much of a jump in brightness but with the CR123 there is.

As for waiting, it's hit or miss. Many CPF'er have been burned holding off buying a light then finding out about a new one soon after ordering the one they were holding out for. I would guess a Cree AA light will probably cost in the neighborhood of the P1D CE ($70.00). Buying an L1T with a CR123 body would be ($63.00). The regular L1T is a good light on its own. I don't think it's a waste of money becasue it would serve you well. Even if they did release a new Cree AA version you may want to wait and see what the reviews are like anyways. Waiting is good because it allows the kinks to be worked out. Look at the current P1D CE's. I'll bet that future versions will have better reflectors to eliminate the dark ring.

Before I discovered CPF, I got by using various AA incandescents as did we all so whatever you end up getting will be a step up. Good luck.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have read the previous posts and your question, and I wanted to agree that an L2T is probably the way you want to go. I have both the P1D and the L2T and the output on high for the L2T is very similar to the output on medium to the P1D. The P1D has a bit higher gear on maximum than the L2T does and both have a similar low.

It looks to me that the P1D throws a tad bit further, but this might not always be the case. The difference, anyway, is very small for the throw of these two lights.

For my pocket, the P1D wins with its slightly shorter length than the L2T + CR123 body and it's higher high if needed or desired.

For use in a holster on my belt, the L2T wins for a couple of reasons.
  1. Typically, if a light is on my belt, then it is on my belt because I use it very frequently. In this case, a clicky seems to work best for me as it is easier to deploy one handed and quicker.
  2. The L2T will run for longer off of 2 x AA batteries than the P1D can run with 1 x CR123 battery and it has excellent performance with NiMH rechargeables giving it an edge in the runtime department and in the cost of ownership department.
I really love the P1D but with your parameters, I would definately recommend the L2T. Buy the CR123 body too from 4sevens and you will have a couple of great options. The build on these adapters is top notch.

I hope that this helps.

-Goatee