how's your experience with FedEx ground/Home Delivery?

After this particular shipment is taken care of, I am closing my FedEx account.
I don't ship that often and they've managed to screw up three times already.

1) for a package that never got scanned even though it was delivered.

2) a 20 lbs 18" x 18" x 10" package w/ well attached computer generated label they manage to lose after arriving at local hub.

3) FedEx call tag I requested that they were supposed to pickup from a residene in Texas, but never commited to and tells me "sir I don't know why your package wasn't picked up".

three strike, I'm closing my account.

You guys having better luck w/ them?

Danbo

Enlightened
A couple of years ago, I ordered a computer and printer from a company in California. A week or so later, the shipment arrived. FedEx refused to leave the computer on my front door, since a signature was required. However, that didn't stop them from leaving a $400 printer on the front porch. Had to run all the way across town to get the CPU. Never figured out what was going through that driver's mind that day. FedEx has been ok since then, however.

I still prefer USPS though.

BargainMonkey

Newly Enlightened
FedEx Ground is the devil! FedEx Air is OK, but Ground is a completely separate company using independent contractors. My favorite FedEx Ground screwup is when they sent my package to the wrong state, eventually figured out that wasn't where I lived, and then dropped it in the mail and sent my package to me USPS.

VWTim

Enlightened
Hmm, I've had the opposite luck from you guys. In 5? years of semi regular Fedex ground shipments I've been very satisfied. I did have one shipment go missing, but before it was even scheduled to be delivered the delivery driver called me personally to let me know it was missing from his truck. It was there the night before, but not that morning. So he immediately marked it lost and even faxed me the required paperwork that afternoon.

That level of customer service from the driver has stuck with me.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I prefer them over USPS. I used to ship FedEx Ground fairly frequently and nowdays, whenever I have large packages to send, I consistently use their services. I've never had a problem. International Air services are also reliable in my experience. I even had a package delivered to me in the boonies of South Africa once.

swampgator

Enlightened
I've had great success with UPS. The driver for my area has been here enough to know that if the package doesn't require a signature he can leave it on my screen porch. If it does he gets my neighbor (a relative) to sign for it. If they're not available he'll try to deliver to my parents (1/2 mile away).

First time Fed Ex drive past my driveway and said they couldn't find my residence. Sent the package back to their hub. After providing a detailed map they delivered 3 days later. Second time a year or so later they couldn't find residence and just delivered to someone on my road. Thankfully the person is a neighbor I've known all my life and called me.

Fed Ex stinks. UPS is better. USPS is best. But that's only my opinion.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fedex's main problem here is that they are constantly hiring new people. I just about never get the same driver twice. So usually it takes the new driver 1-3 days to find my place..

UPS on the other hand has had the same guy, Randy, on the same route for years, so zero problems...he's like family by now..

swampgator

Enlightened
TedTheLed said:
UPS on the other hand has had the same guy, Randy, on the same route for years, so zero problems...he's like family by now..

About ten years ago I was in college with a guy who worked part time for UPS. I remember him telling me about the pay and benefits that UPS had for part timers. His goal was to get hired full time. He said part timers hardly ever got hired full time because no one ever leaves.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Among my knife making buddies, it runs the whole gamut of the delivery companies. I ship my knives whatever fits my taste at the time, UPS, Fed-EX and USPS.

Outgoing:

1. UPS has mis-delivered once resulting in a lost item, I'd been scammed in the first place so the whole deal was bad. I've had mis-directed items resulting in extended delivery times but that has been it. I always request signature for items.

2. USPS was my most recent incident of a mis-delivered and un-claimable item. So far, if I do my part in getting all the appropriate services, I've been ok.

3. Fed-Ex ground has too much manual paper work but they usually get my X-mas rush packages. So far, no problems but I don't use them regularly.

4. Black Cat for delivery to Japan and within Japan, perfect. They deliver 7 days a week and domestic shipping is often overnight.

Incoming:

1. UPS drops even when a signature is required. Except for the usual route driver who knows better. I'm usually home during the delivery time so it hasn't been an issue.

2. USPS, the new carrier could careless. He leaves small packages on top of my mail box or dead center on door mat for easily seen items. :thumbsdow Fortunately USPS and UPS drop about same times so I am home to receive them. Items originating from Japan are hit miss as far as box damage. I blame US Customs for beating them up. :(

3. My Fed-Ex guy is conscious so he makes sure no matter what the item, he drops it in my hands. :goodjob: His drop-off is about 30 minutes earlier than the above so my scheduling makes receiving packages easy.

For what I ship, I'll have problems of some sort, 1:40 times. Given the odds, I know at some point, a knife is going to be lost.