SF U2 or Kroma Mil-spec?

Deepdog

Newly Enlightened
Im thinking about buying a new flashlight for using in the military. I have been looking at either a SF U2 with a red filter or a SF Kroma Mil-spec. Not sure which to buy. Which has the best throw? which would be best for using outdoors. Also want one i can use for camping off duty.

Leif Molina

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Hey Leif!

First, I'm not sure if you've found this review, but it's an amazing pictorial comparison review between the Kroma (non Mil-Spec) and the U2... it really should tell/show you everything you need to know!

That being said, you should be able to easily see that the U2 has better throw and sidespill than the Kroma... if you are using it for just a white light, then it's what you want... although if you're using it for Red as well, and thinking about carrying a red filter around, I think you might consider the Kroma Mil-Spec (or a SF A2?)

I think that comparing the Kroma (Mil-Spec or other) and U2 makes sense to a certain extent, however they're pretty different - with the U2 giving six levels of white light, and the Kroma giving 2 levels of white, red, and blue, or a mixture of white with either red or blue. (The Milspec adding IR and yellow-green).

If you just want a white light - go Kroma - it's no question. If you want just red in addition to white - I would say the filter would be a possibility, however it's something you have to worry about carrying around. But the Kroma is certainly a good middle-ground if you don't want to carry a filter around... as far as brightness goes - although it doesn't throw as much as the U2, it'll still get most of the same jobs done IMHO. If you want more than white & red - no choice - go Kroma or Kroma Mil-Spec.

:) john

DCarlton

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Its a hard choice, they are both great lights.

I have a U2 and it is a 'thrower' and is bright. I just put the red beam filter on and compared it to a PKEF set to red. (PKEF is a prototype of the Kroma/MS. PKEF is brighter than Kroma in Red/Green/White _ PKEF uses 5mm leds Kroma uses 3mm)

Set to white, the Kroma/Ms is not a bright as a U2, 50 vs 80 lumens.

The red filter attenuates the beam of the U2 so that to get a comparable level to the PKEF you have to have it cranked up to level 5/6 to put out similar level of light to the PKEF in red. (battery drain....) Also the filter makes the U2 quite large and not pocked friendly.

But the U2 with red filter puts out a tighter spot, than the PKEF.

What tasks will you be using red light for?

I would recommend the Kroma Mil-spec as it has other colours you may find it more useful. E.g. Signalling Red No - Green Yes, Blue for blood tracking/hydraulic fluid identification, IR - night vision. And I love TIR optics; they produce more uniform useable light IMO.

I hope this helps, also there is a thread somewhere here with beam shots comparing U2 to Kroma (MS maybe as well) I had a look for it but could not find, sorry.

Dan

Deepdog

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the input. it was very helpfull. espesially the link to the Kroma vs mil-spec vs U2 thread.

Leif Molina

citizenal

Newly Enlightened
I just received the kroma and like it alot. I have a question though, is the beam supposed to have a squarish look? On low an hight I see a square beam intead of a oval.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe (seeign the light in pics) that it uses a lens and a reflector as opossed to just a reflector and that produces a square hot spot as high output leds Luxeon cree seoul semi. have square Dies. Hope this helps.

Jorge Banner

Newly Enlightened
If your light is going to be part of a kit your life may end up depending on, take both. They'll back each other up and give you all the functionality you may need. Afterwards you can even sell one (you won't). That's what I'd do even if I had to sell something to make the money.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
65535 said:
I believe (seeign the light in pics) that it uses a lens and a reflector as opossed to just a reflector and that produces a square hot spot as high output leds Luxeon cree seoul semi. have square Dies. Hope this helps.

The squareness of the beam should disappear as you project the light onto distant objects. If I recall correctly, mine had a wonderful beam shape that was not square at a distance of 3 to 4 feet.

-Goatee

Deepdog

Newly Enlightened
Well i couldn't really decide. so i ended up buying both. but went for the regular Kroma. Don't need IR and Green/yellow led. and the Regular has high/low red and blue.

Leif Molina

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
That's the way to do it Leif! :) There's always the BST forums here where you can sell the light you find you don't use as much - both great lights!
john