Maglite with EverLed bulb - Reflector degrading

Hellbore

Enlightened
I purchased an EverLED bulb replacement years ago and have been using it A LOT in my Maglite. I noticed recently that my Maglite reflector is really strange. I don't know why but the silvery stuff looks rubbed off on much of the reflector. It's like it faded and rubbed off or something, but how is that possible, I never take it apart!

Is it possible the LED's light, or gasses from it could somehow eat away at the silver coating?

I'll try to post pics...very wierd... Much of the reflector is blue now the color of the plastic...

Cydonia

Enlightened
Interesting. I would guess that the heat from the EverLED has degraded the thin reflective coating on the plastic. Time for an aluminum reflector.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pictures!!! we need pictures!!!

I guess maybe since its not heatsinked to the flashlight body, that it could get hot enough in the bulb holder to mess with the reflector? But man that'd be hot, (hotter than a 6D bulb)!!

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
If heat is the cause, then degradation would be more pronounced closer to the source and not equally throughout the whole reflector. I'm waiting for the pics.

lednut

Newly Enlightened
I have a 2D mag at work that I have owned forever.A couple of years ago,I put the side emitter Everled in.The light gets used constantly at work,running on NIMH's.I have not noticed anything with the reflector.Stock reflector,mineral glass lens.Pics please!I am very interested!