ArmyTek        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sorry for being the broken record but...

Flashaholic

Default Sorry for being the broken record but...

When will Fenix officially brand the P1D CE flashlight???

I'd Put the Fenix logo on one side and "P1D CE on another side. That way they could increase the size of the logo while still showcasing the model number correctly.

I feel so alone, sometimes.

Andy
    Have light, will travel!
    ITT G3 NV Monocular + IR + Xmag lenses, Fenix L0D C4, AmiLite T5

Default Re: Sorry for being the broken record but...

Just curious... What' the big deal? Do you want people to know it's a "CE"? I hate to say, but outside of this forum there aren't too many people who have any idea what a Cree LED is.
    The only easy day was yesterday... now go run!

Flashaholic*

Yeah who cares, why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by Valpo Hawkeye
    Just curious... What' the big deal? Do you want people to know it's a "CE"? I hate to say, but outside of this forum there aren't too many people who have any idea what a Cree LED is.
    Let alone what is Fenix is? It's a car, It's a plane.......No...It's SUPERMAN!!!!

lol
    Noob
    Poor noob who want some lights.

No it's an egyptian mythical bird...I think maybe Greek?

Quote Originally Posted by 65535
    No it's an egyptian mythical bird...I think maybe Greek?
    I'm pretty sure that's a "phoenix" and I'm equally sure he was kidding.

Oh, and you were right the first time, it's Egyptian.

If I bought one, I'd feel exactly like you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomerang
    When will Fenix officially brand the P1D CE flashlight???

Andy
    Ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by eebowler
    If I bought one, I'd feel exactly like you do.
    I'm not trying to be a jerk, but why? Does the branding make it brighter? I'd like it if my lights had zero markings on them.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but why? Does the branding make it brighter? I'd like it if my lights had zero markings on them.

Of course branding makes them brighter...just like if a bag says Prada it holds more stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by kbog

Of course branding makes them brighter...just like if a bag says Prada it holds more stuff!
    Or an '86 Civic with an autoparts-store "Si" sticker guarantees an extra 15 ponies!

Are your surfire lights labled? (Yes) If you ordered one and it didn't come with the brand name 'surefire' on it, would it make a difference to you?

Kind of hard to explain. First off, it's emotional desire that has alot to do with pride in owning a particular flashlight (or brand) nothing to do with performance.

To me, unbranded lights are made by companies who are ashamed to put their name on their lights, they are usually cheap and crappy and probably not even worth spending the extra $0.01 for the lable. For me $70 US for a single light is A LOT of money and if I do spend it, I'd like the ability to show off to myself (sounds insane I know) and to others what light I have.

Makes sense?

Are your surfire lights labled? (Yes) If you ordered one and it didn't come with the brand name 'surefire' on it, would it make a difference to you?

Kind of hard to explain. First off, it's emotional desire that has alot to do with pride in owning a particular flashlight (or brand) nothing to do with performance.

To me, unbranded lights are made by companies who are ashamed to put their name on their lights, they are usually cheap and crappy and probably not even worth spending the extra $0.01 for the lable. For me $70 US for a single light is A LOT of money and if I do spend it, I'd like the ability to show off to myself (sounds insane I know) and to others what light I have.

Makes sense?
    I can see what you're saying. I just don't feel that way. You'll notice in one of my previous posts in this thread that I would like it if all my lights were un-branded, without labels. To prove my point, it's not uncommon for people with high-end or customized cars to have their ride "debadged" where they take off all identifying marks. They don't need a BMW logo on their car to feel better about it. It's a slick car with great performance no matter what badges, labels or markings are on it.

Just my $.02

Better threads for reliable one handed operation.

Change the level sequence. Med/High/Low is insane in a light that bright.

Change the levels to be equally spaced as visually perceived.

Cut the high level a little so a CR123 can stay in regulation.

Improve the beam quality.

UI improvements. Optional clickie tube, etc, etc, etc.

That's my wish list in declining order of importance. I couldn't care less if or how it's labeled as long as it's not garish.

Function over form for me any day.

Mike

+1

Flashaholic

To me, unbranded lights are made by companies who are ashamed to put their name on their lights, they are usually cheap and crappy and probably not even worth spending the extra $0.01 for the lable.
    You mean cheap crap like Lumapower's LM30x lights? Didn't think so.

None of this applies to the P1D, anyway. It is labeled. Very clearly. You have the brand and the model number right there on the light. I understand that you want it to say "CE" right there on the barrel, but consider this:
    • The light is mass produced
    • There are four versions: two finishes, two LED/reflector combos
    • The differences are obvious

Is it worth increasing cost just to further differentiate them? You can tell it's a Cree die even when the light is off, not to mention when it's on. Given the popularity of the CE, if I saw a P1D lying around, I wouldn't assume it was the Luxeon version.

Besides, to a non-flashaholic, it won't matter if it's a CE, or a Fenix, or anything. The only thing that will matter is, "Wow! That's bright!"
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Hey eebowler. I understand exactly what you are saying. I wondered why the CE wasn't on the light when it first came out.

Geoff

It doesn't matter since well umm its just bright. Btw I would be distruaght if SF didn't have a brand on my light (they do it to every light I want that too) plus the small Stamp used is the right size just to know its a U2 not a Kroma or something.

I bought one for a Christmas gift. Got nervous when I didn't see "CE" anywhere on the body of the light. Wondered if somebody switched out the "CE" for a plain P1D.

Put a battery in, turned it on and saw the dark ring on the outside edge of the hotspot. Definitely a "CE."

Felt much better :-)

Flashaholic

Have it engraved with a big << CE >>

4sevens does offer laser engraving at fenix-store.com, you can have a Fenix branded any way you want.

Enlightened

Hey, first time post here... let me add my 0.02USD

For some people, owning something "nice" is about projecting such ownership to others. That's OK, if that turns you on.

For some (me, for instance), owning something "nice" is about the ownership. Strictly personal, private pleasure. I don't prefer items with obvious labels and steer away from them if I could. Nice things to me are about quality. Quality which can be seen and touched. Quality in design and function. I like the SF A2, not because it is made by Surefire and it says so, but because of how it is made and what it does. If I had an option to buy an A2 with no markings at all, I will do so happily.

I have an M5 and it is debadged. I don't care what others think about it. I know what it is and what I can do with it...

Hi MSHasegawa Welcome to CPF.

In regards to the first post. I feel that if they are meant to be two different lights then they should be marked as such. My 2c
    Concept

Quote Originally Posted by X Racer
    +1
    + another 1

I want my lights to light first, look good second, and be identifiable via their markings somewhere around 47th.

If a light had no markings on it, it would be just fine with me. I know what kind of light it is, and practically nobody else is going to get any useful information from the markings anyways.

As far as I'm concerned, SureFires already have too many markings on them, (some worse than others) making them look cluttered and cheap, like an old Pontiac with too many bumper stickers on it. Company name is fine. Much more than that is too much.

I think that reason Fenix haven't added a "CE" is almost certainly one of production cost. Adding the extra engraving to the Cree version would add an extra process, but by keeping the battery tube the same as the standard P1D, it makes mass production easier and therefore cheaper.

Hey guys, don't get me wrong. I'm one of those practical people who lives by the rule " It doesn't matter how it looks, what matters is how it functions." You should see the state of one of my favorite lights, a 1AA cutdown maglite (with MiniProIII). I'm sure even if I were giving it away, no one would want it. LOL (I also wrecked the exterior of my infinity ultra while changing the LED yet, it's my most carried light. Believe me, the list goes on and on.)

Wiz, that may be true but, I believe that they just wanted to produce the CE lights as fast as possible (faster than EVERYONE else) and didn't pay attention to minor (and some major) details. Who knows.

I believe most of us here don't care much about the branding and labelling.
    I just hope Fenix improve more on the QC of their lights. No more two-tone anodizing, loose threads, etc.

adding the CE to the thing may be nice for some, not so nice for some, and a non-issue for others, but at the end of the day, it adds cost. maybe not if you are considering per unit, but when you add it all up for all units produced, then it really does add up.

at the end of the day you as a purchaser has to decide, whether you want Fenix to spend the money they have on improving the function of their products, or the form. not saying either is wrong, until perfect function has been achieved, form would have to take a back seat for me.
    Somy Nex

Flashaholic

FWIW, the not branding it as a P1D CE is just not sound marketing.

From what I see at Flashlight Reviews the P1D and P1D CE use identical packaging! If you were to see them at wally world, how would you know the difference (for those who don't know a luxeon from a cree emitter)?

And if you had a P1D and a P1D CE laying around, you'd still have to pause for inspection to know which was which.

When I bought my car I told them if they branded it with the dealer emblem the deal was off. I told them I didn't even want the license plate frame. They pleaded to let me keep it. I said, OK, you pay me $200 a month and I'll advertise for you. They took it off. I took off every other window stickers but you can still see on the back it's a VW GTI/VR6, until the light turns green.

Andy
    Have light, will travel!
    ITT G3 NV Monocular + IR + Xmag lenses, Fenix L0D C4, AmiLite T5

Quote Originally Posted by flame2000
    I believe most of us here don't care much about the branding and labelling.
    I just hope Fenix improve more on the QC of their lights. No more two-tone anodizing, loose threads, etc.
    I don't much care about the branding for the sake of 'status appeal'. Nobody but us flashaholics would know what 'Surefire', for example, means anyway. I guess I'm just a stickler for accuracy in labelling. If it's a CE, I'd prefer that it say so on the label. Mostly this is just because I now have so many lights that it's nice to see at a glance what model a light is. Yes I can do that by just looking at the LED, but it's quicker to find on a label.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast