kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The entire reflector including the lip that touches the LE, I measure .493"

The Mcr18 will fit in one.

Ken

Last edited:

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a bummer. I already have a McR-17-XR. I should have checked the size before buying it, what a stupid mistake from me. I'll have to make the McR shorter before modifying my LuxIII L2P to XR-E. I'll give it a try tomorrow :)

Kenster, thanks for you help! Cheers to you!

Last edited:

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Erasmus, the Mcr18 is basically just a shortened version of the Mcr20 reflector so check the link for modifying to focus with the Cree.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/146196

Also some modifying to shorten the LE for the Fenix L1p/L2p, Mcr18, Cree combo is nice or the head wont screw down as far onto the battery tube. It would still work if the LE wasn`t modified or shortened. It just makes the light a hair longer and to me it looks funny with the head not screwed all the way down to match the tailcap.

I took this pic to show how the modded Mcr18 reflector fits on the Cree in one of my Fenix L1p lights.
IMG_2858.jpg

Last edited:

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still didn't start this modification because I'm doubting :
- making the McR-17-XR shorter at the front end (NOT the end where the LED fits in)
- buying a McR-18 and turning down the LED end a little bit so the XR-E fits in

Hmmm, any suggestions?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Erasmus, IMO, modding the larger opening of a reflector is easier. Tweaking the bottom end, OTOH, demands lots of trial and error and there's always the chance of removing too much material, and then you're :green:

I'm :popcorn: on your results as I'd like to do this myself at some point.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay I have made up my mind after a short test. I compared the beam of the XR-E McR-17-XR with my current L2P (standard reflector and LuxIII). Apparently my current L2P has a sidespill that's around 60% larger (in diameter) than the McR-17-XR. Assuming turning down the end (end = side where the light comes out) of the McR-17-XR will lead to more sidespill (as in "wider beam") (and less throw, but hell, right now at 350 mA it already outthrows a 700 mA UX1J), I consider to do this to have around the same sidespill as with my current L2P (it's perfect for my needs).

And in case 4 mm is too much to get of the end of the reflector, I can get something off the LE since I have around 1 to 2 mm left in there.

Last edited:

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are the dims.

Stock .4735"/12.03mm Cree modded .4575"/11.61mm

I don't know about the L1P's, but this worked very well for me, in a Aleph style head.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
TranquillityBase said:
Here are the dims.

Stock .4735"/12.03mm Cree modded .4575"/11.61mm

I don't know about the L1P's, but this worked very well for me, in a Aleph style head.
Which dims are these? I'm sorry I don't understand.

EDIT : okay I think I understand. First is the stock McR-18 and then the modified McR-18 to fit the Cree XR-E.

Last edited:

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what I did to a McR18 for use in a Aleph/E-series head...I very happy with the beam pattern, and the focus.

Drilled through with 'I' drill, and then turned down the length to .4575"/11.61mm

TB

greenLED

Flashaholic
TranquillityBase said:
Drilled through with 'I' drill, and then turned down the length to .4575"/11.61mm
TB, what's the size of the new opening? I can't seem to find a drill bit that will match the size of the XR-E's metal ring (and I do the boring by hand, literally - turning the bit with my hands).

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
TB, what's the size of the new opening? I can't seem to find a drill bit that will match the size of the XR-E's metal ring (and I do the boring by hand, literally - turning the bit with my hands).
I've been using a letter size 'I' drill bit, which is .272"

greenLED

Flashaholic
Thanks, TB! I think the closest one I've found is ~6.8mm, which is not large enough. :p I guess I'll have to ream the last fractions of a mm by hand somehow.

Latest posts