Best of the new Hydration-system Backpacks?

guncollector

Enlightened
Alright, here's a gear question.

What's the best of the new Hydration-system Backpacks? There are so many choices from the larger manufacturers Camelback, Hydra-Storm, etc. to the boutique-tactical type manufacturers.

What's a good size for hauling your EDC stuff (i.e. laptop, lunch, some emergency gear, and of course flashlights (note the plural) and extra batteries?

Thanks for the input.

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
I use the Camelbak Blowfish pack. It only has 800 cubic inches storage, so it may not fit your needs exactly. Camelbak makes a nice pack and good hydration system. If you find one large enough to hold all your stuff, it might be for you. I get all my regular EDC items in the pack but carry the notebook PC in a small soft sided PC case.

Try to put your hands on the packs in the store before you buy. Happy hunting.
smile.gif

T-Rex

Newly Enlightened
hmmm.

No experience with a Hydra-Storm. I own a blowfish and HAWG. In the blowfish I can put a pair of Teva's (bulky leather sandals), shorts & a shirt. And phone, wallet, lights, drink mix and a few other miscellaneous items. Hawg will take a pair of jeans too.

I'd be careful about putting a laptop in a pack not designed to carry one. Unless you are REALLY careful about putting it down, I don't think there's enough padding.

You might want to consider a pack designed for the laptop, then drop in an insulated Camel unbottle (70 or 100 oz).

Another observation about the Camelbak line. They produce a pack called the cloud walker. It is produced with cheap material. This is the nasty stuff that falls apart at the seams after a season. If you're going to spend some money, don't get this pack. They might make others with the same material but I haven't seen them. It's easy to tell the difference, use your sense of touch.