KL1 went out...

FireFighter05

Newly Enlightened
I was playing w/ my E1E/KL1 today and the led came on, blinked and then went out. It has a brand new battery in it so I am pretty sure the LED went bad. My KL1 has been opened bc I was getting ready to replace the optics with a reflector. Will SF still honor the warranty? Is there anything else I can do?
Dave

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it sounds like the light, but try a different cell. I'm amazed at how often light problems turn out to be battery problems.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
FireFighter05 said:
Will SF still honor warranty on my opened KL1? Not the battery BTW...

No they won't, and you shouldn't expect them to either.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, it's hard to tell if they'll honor it or not. What part of the head did you open? Did you alter, marr or ruin anything? If not, simply don't bring it up. I'm NOT saying to be dishonest. I believe that if they ask, I'll tell them. If they don't ask, and my opening the head didn't cause the light to fail, then it's a warranty issue. Can't hurt to call...

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may have pulled one of the wires from the board or the emitter. What exactly were you playing with? One of the guys around here could probably fix it for you.

FireFighter05

Newly Enlightened
i was just clicking it on and shining it around nothing unusual. The wires are still intact, It has not been opned up since i first opened it a few weeks ago. I think this could be a good excuse to "need" a new light. :)

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you decide to get a new one, 'broken' Surefire heads sell pretty well in the BST section.

schiesz

FireFighter05

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all! BTW, I am not going to try to get warranty service. It was probably my fault for opening it. O well, live and learn. A new light is in my future!!

jonlerd

Newly Enlightened
ive gotten pretty good at opening up these sucker, if you cant get SF to honor it, and you like to give it another shot, let me know. Id be happy to help you out with no charge, i could simply use more practice modding these suckers!

FireFighter05

Newly Enlightened
Size15's said:
Did you try an new battery?

No, i did not have one with me(i know, shame shame). But i did put the incan head on and it worked.
This also rules out the tail cap...

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The golden butterknife.
This is a good reason to NOT open these lights up unless you are ready to face the music when it breaks.

Why in the world would you open up a kl1 unless you are going to mod it?
Silly.
Good excuse to get another KL1 and have somebody stick a Cree emitter into the one you broke.
Yaesumofo

FireFighter05 said:
No, i did not have one with me(i know, shame shame). But i did put the incan head on and it worked.
This also rules out the tail cap...[/QUOT/