SureFire KL1 vs. Petzl Tikka XP

Charles S

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post, so please be gentle. I have lurked for a while, but only recently joined and I am relatively ignorant of lights compared to the knowledge in this community.

This light will primarily be utilized for outdoors work. I am a hunter, a fisher, and I camp with my family a great deal. I love the outdoors therefore I will utilize this light in that general capacity.

If I purchase the KL1 Led module I will put it on a black E2 body.

Other lights I own include the SureFire E2E, original 6P, and 9Z. I also own the Streamlight Scorpion X2 and Stinger X2, the Tikka Petzal, and various Maglights. I have the Inova T2 that I am very pleased with.

I currently have a gift card to Bass Pro Shop and am interested in your collective suggestions regarding weather I should purchase the Tikka XP or the SureFire KL1 head.

I appreciate your thoughts and assistance.

Kai

Newly Enlightened
I will chime in here. You should get the Tikka XP bcause you don't have a headlamp with a luxeon. You already have the T2 which is similar to the KL1 in that they both use optics for the beam.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KL1 is a great addition to your E-series light. It will provide you with a great, durable very useful light for your activities. I enjoy backpacking and staying out for extended periods and the KL1 provides a great beam for illuminating objects at medium distances and it is a good complement to your Petzl Tikka.

Use it with a beam shaper from Surefire and you have a great flood light too. In my opinion, it is hard to go wrong with the KL1. If it was me, however, I would buy the KL1 attached to a 1 cell body with a clicky tailcap or in other words, the whole E1L.

-Goatee

BlackDecker

Enlightened
For outdoor things, you can't beat a headlamp. You have both hands free and light anywhere you turn your head.

The Tikka XP is a decent headlamp, I own one.

Pros: Long battery life, 3 light levels, sliding diffuser to spread out the light from the Luxeon.

Cons: The teeny chicklet buttons are hard to find if you are wearing gloves, so beware. It's also pretty tough to open the battery case to change out batteries.

Would I buy one? hmmm... lot of very good competition out there. I'd check out the Princeton Tec line before I'd buy another Petzl.

YAG

Newly Enlightened
I much prefer the myo XP to the tikka XP personally.

AlecGold

Enlightened
but how about the KL4? that is a very nice head as well and perhaps better suited for camping use.
I've got the early zipka & Tikka models, but I don't like them that much. one stopt working in a downpoor and the other has a tiny wire around your head. so now aday's I use a headband made from elastic band that keeps my HDS on the side of my head. I can still use it as a flashlight, but as a headlight as well! And the tikka models use alkaline models, which is not handy for wintercamping.

So to give you an answer to your question: KL1 or Tikka, I would say KL1. But the CPF answer is offcourse: GET BOTH :)

Welcome to this lovely place btw ;)

Charles S

Newly Enlightened
I really appreciate your assistance.

Actually after receiving my gift card I research headlamps first on Flashlight reviews and the Petzal XP had gotten good reviews.

I really preferred the PT Apex but Bass Pro does not carry that light. In all actuality for my purposes a headlight like the Apex but with a red, white and blue LEDs in the low light level or red and blue filters would be most ideal, but I do not find any light like I describe.

I think a headlamp with low, medium, and high levels of blue, red, and white light with a tight spot and a diffuser would be the perfect light for hunters, fishers and campers….Oh well as far as I can tell such an animal does not exist.

After your thoughts I may try the KL1 head with the McE2S switch on my older E2 body.

Goatee, which beam shaper do I use?

Can I get red and blue filters for the KL1 head?

Thanks again for all of your input and help. I would appreciate any additional thoughts or suggestions.

Esthan

Enlightened
Charles S
Go for the Tactikka XP (They Have it :])

For following reasons:
1. First and foremost - both Your hands will be free to operate.
2. Runtime - turn it on med setting and it will last a whole night
3. Biult in slideable diffuser - an important feature,
Milky smooth floodlight is more pleasureful to work with
if manual work at a close range is involved. Like setting up a tent,
cutting something etc.
4. Compared to Tikka XP , the Tactikka XP is in camo finish,
and comes with 3 color diffusers
(one of them can be mounted on the headband in an included holder)
Colors are - red, blue and green.
5. It has the boost mode for throw.

KL1 will not bring You much compared to a Headlamp if You have other hand flashlights.

Last edited:

txmatt

Enlightened
Just two datapoints... I've got a PT EOS and Petzl Tikka XP. The EOS is very good, the XP is better. The EOS on low for reading is not as floody as I would like and on low I notice flicker. The XP on low with diffuser in place is perfect for reading. Without the XP diffuser, the two offer about the same throw. I personally prefer small, single-box headlamps as opposed to ones like the PT Apex with the rear battery holder, even though they do offer greater run time.