Replacing kitchen faucet washers advice sought UPDATE: True Value to the rescue!

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I have a leaky kitchen sink faucet. The brand is "Delex" (anything to do with Delta?). I'm guessing the year of manufacturer is 1986 as that is the date the place was converted into apartments. Do you know if the washers are replaceable on this faucet and how difficult is it to do so? I've never done any plumbing really of any kind. Also, I'm having a difficult time turning one of the water shutoffs below the sink. I'm afraid to really wrench it as I don't want to snap the copper piping. Any hints on how to accomplish that? If the whole faucet has to be replaced that will be difficult and require help as the garbage disposal is in the way and it is all copper which is why I want to try replacing the faucets first but its all a moot point if I can't turn off the water shutoff. Here is a picture of the sink and faucet.

72275113.jpg

Last edited:

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Replacing kitchen faucet washers advice sought

This is usually a simple job as long as you can get the water turned off. Remove the screw in the center of the handle and pull off the handle. You will probably find a portion of the top of the valve is hex shaped like a nut. Just use a crescent wrench to unscrew the top of the valve. This should come out with the operating parts still attached to the top. Usually, the washer is just held on with a screw in the middle. Take it off and get a proper size replacement at the hardware store. BTW, a short term fix that can sometimes be used until you get a replacement is to just flip over the washer if it's only damaged on one side.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

In your situation I vote, "Cheat", as I did recently

1. Take the handles off to ensure they will come off easily and to make sure you have the correct socket for the valves.
2. Turn off the whole house water supply since the shut-off valve is a problem.
3. Remove a valve and take it to a plumbing supply store. If none are in the area then try Home Depot or Lowes.
4. Replace the valve or install new seal and or O-rings as suggested by the plumbing guy.
5. Reinstall valve, do not over tighten.
6. Have someone turn the water supply back on while you watch for leaks.

If there's are nuts on the shutoff valve where the line goes in and out then it's a compression fitting and it's usually pretty easy to replace unless you have my luck. Often it's a sweat fitting on the inlet side, which is a different ball game, and I would suggest letting a pro or a buddy with some experience do it.

Last edited:

Topper

Flashaholic*

If it is an older one that takes a washer be sure to check the seat. The seat is the part that the washer presses against so you need to stick your finger in there and check to make sure it is still smooth. If it feels rough then you need to replace the seat it just screws in but you might in to borrow a "seat wrench" I was lucky as they come in different sizes mine was removed by a 1/4 square drive (the small screw driver that comes in most socket sets)
It is really not that hard just intimidating the first time. Also I always turn the water off at the main as I have never had any luck turning any little knobs that have not been turned in years (they always leak for me) good luck.
Topper :)

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast

Delex is an offshoot of Delta. If you live in an apartment, shouldnt the landlord be responsible for repairs? Repairing old faucets can be a real PITA, even with proper tools and experience.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast

just a couple months ago a friend tried shutting off that valve underthe sink, and it broke, and the place flooded..

2nding DD; shut off the whole house water first if the under-sink valve is wonky..

(all the valves in this house are ceramic -- hopefully, I won't ever have your problem! ;) )

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

I was able to get a little more mileage out of a rough washer seat by gently smoothing it with a pointed grinding stone that fit down into it. Hopefully all it will need is a new washer. If it's leaking bad from the shaft of the valve you might need the whole thing. They're not very expensive. Good luck.

Geoff

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Guys I live in a condo so yes I'm responsible. Shutting off the whole house water would be a last resort as I would also shut the water off for five other units. It's sounding more and more like I had better not take a chance and either have it professionally done or at least by someone very experienced.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you have a water meter in your unit, there should be a main shutoff either in your unit or in the service room (basement) You will need to find out its location anyway if your going to bring in a plumber.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok, I turned off the water I could (cold), removed the knob and hex nut and this is what remains. It looks like a cartridge assembly of some sort, is this correct? If I've gone this far, is it much more difficult to replace this cartridge assembly?

72298100.jpg

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Replacing kitchen faucet washers advice sought (Updated, added another pic)

I could be wrong but with some effort you should be able to pull straight up on the stem. Replace the whole cartridge if available or at least the flat disc at the bottom. Clean any mineral deposits from the interior surfaces. Get a whole new fixture if parts approach 30%, or so, of a new unit. If you can get a dab of Dow 811 (IIRC) from a plumber friend or use silicone dielectric grease, like we use for flashlight O-rings, to lube all surfaces and the stem.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Replacing kitchen faucet washers advice sought (Updated, added another pic)

Local True Value to the rescue!

Ok, removed last hex nut securing cartridge stem to sink and cartridge slipped out. Went down to local true value hardware store with intent of replacing stem cartridge. Talked to the guy at the store and he said most likely that is not the cause of the leak. Residing inside the faucet underneath the stem is a spring/rubber grommet combo that fits neatly inside a hole. I did not know this.

72300194.jpg

The spring sits in the hole and the grommet on top of the spring. You can pull them out with tweezers or needle nose pliers. The guy sold me a replacement spring/rubber grommet kit. I found the one that fit best, put everything back together and so far no more leaks. So hopefully a little research, perseverance and $2.69 in parts has solved the problem. Incidentally, the water turnoff that won't turn easily is the hot side and appears to still be ok. This would sense as I'm sure you use the cold side much more often. I like the quick, personal experience the true value guy gave me over taking a trip to Home Depot although they might have known the same thing.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if it's a nation wide policy but the regional True Values have top notch, personal, service. Of course that can always depend upon the particular clerk (assiociate?!) you have. Our local TV, Suettinger Hardware, is the greatest for personal service and knowledge. They were founded in 1852 and it's still owned/operated by the Suettinger family and may be one (the?) of the oldest hardware stores in the USA. Amazing because our town only has about 12,500 residents.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's a 1986 setup - about 20 years old it's probable that more things will wear out soon. I'd just replace the whole faucet - which is not that hard and replacements can be found for a fairly good price if you shop around ~$20-$30 - even eBay with shipping would get one in that range. Removing the whole faucet usually just involves unscrewing the nuts underneath the sink and the hoses from the supply - get some teflon tape to hook them back up to a new one. There's really nothing that hard in doing this if you can get the water shut off and have a good flashlight :D
Oops - didn't see you got it fixed while I was typing - just consider if it starts giving you problems again that it's not hard to replace the whole thing.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Good job! I had assumed from the pic it was the old style with a washer. That spring and rubber grommet looks just like the ones I recently replaced on my single handle kitchen sink. In that type there are two sets sitting side my side. Buy yourself a flashlight with the money you saved. You earned it.

Geoff