My 1st mod ! (don't laugh)

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 1st mod ! (don\'t laugh)

Been staring at this hunk a plastic for months thinking what I could do. It used to be a handheld "electric" fan. Gutted it and a cheapo keychain LED that I had. The LED used a resistor so I figured I couldn't go wrong, soldered it up, it worked!
icon14.gif
Stuck the LED thru the hole that the shaft for the fan motor stuck thru. Have no idea whatsoever of ohms or volts or anything this thing is running, don't think it really matters
icon3.gif
. It works and so I am amazed. I have created light! I am master of my world....oh, lost the screw that holds the "housing" together, so improvised with the "temporary containment device" [scotch tape]
grin.gif
. Previous switch was integral with the motor for the fan so have to remove the AA's to turn off and on. Shaft's hole just big enough for LED to fit thru so you have the option of exposed or protected by simply applying slight pressure on the LED (push it inside
winkie.GIF
) Well, its the first one, waddya expect!
yellowlaugh.gif

1stmod.jpg

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My 1st mod ! (don\'t laugh)

It's not pretty, but it made me smile
wink.gif
if you had fun doing it thats all that matters.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

nice! very creative.

please, let us know how long it runs
grin.gif

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast

How about the 'LED Fan'?
grin.gif
That should confuse some. I think it looks cool. It's not bad ergonomically either. Put that old motor back in there and rip out a mag head and make yourself an automated focusing flashlight
grin.gif

Flashlightboy

Enlightened

Webley,

Man, that pink light just hits me...right here. (Sob sob. Sniff sniff.) I'm trying to be strong.
You know, my sister has a pink flashlight but somehow, I think yours looks a little more feminine!!!

Actually, it's a start and also exactly double the mods that I've done. The most I've done is put a SF M2 clip on my E2e. Risky, huh?

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast

I shall call it "#1", (though its more of a #2 if ya knows what I mean). Found the screw so it is now installed and the retention band has been removed. Now for runtime tests.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, did some more to it. Heeded a suggestion about M** parts. I think the pics will explain themselves. Did have any real adhesives, found some "craft" glue. Went for that "down home" look. All it needs now is a switch. Will install one once I find one to scavange.

2ndMod.jpg

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast

People will be fighting to buy one of those as an investment, After all their aren't many Mag light fans left out there
wink.gif
grin.gif

Flashlightboy

Enlightened

I'm really trying to see the beauty in your first mod but dang, the more you work on it the uglier it becomes. That white stuff around the bezel looks like your light might have rabies or something. Quick, get the women and children inside!!!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Uhhhh, hats off. I myself dabble a little but am afraid to post them. I respect you for that!!

My wife wants to know if it vibrates?
grin.gif
grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

bah!

do you have any...err...spraypaint around the house?
grin.gif

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not sure if I want to paint it. The body is transluscent and there is a shine "back" like in a PT Attitude. Right now I hold my thumb over it to block the light coming back if using it like a handheld. We are having a baby [due April] and she wants to use the light as a night light to check on baby while she's sleeping [it's a girl]. For this reason I am thinking of leaving it as is to act as an area light. Also I look forward to forcing my daughter to have to hold this item in reverance the rest of her life. "Oh and look, there's the flashlight Daddy made for you before you were born", I look forward to seeing her roll her eyes for years to come. For that reason alone I do not want to make the light too "pro" looking. It has to be a little tacky. But as soon as I pick up some super glue I'll be replacing the craft glue which will peel off easily.

Also I'm wondering about something, I looked at the components of the light I scarfed the LED from. It ran the LED with two 3v wafer batteries with a resistor attached to the LED. I'm running it the same in this light but powered by two AA's. Will this affect it in any way? I didn't check the resistor to see its rating.