Modding a DB-3W

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it possible to swap out the LED in my Diamond DB-3W for mag? And perhaps also the DB-1W? Both are 3-cell drop-ins.

They have pretty good output and of course great throw in the 3D Mag hosts (the 1W is surprisingly similar to the 3W, except in tint). Would love to throw in a U-bin or perhaps even a Cree, but was not sure about power levels, etc.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I finally got around to modding my DB-3W - I put a SSC P4 in it and I think the output doubled! The alkalines had been used long enough that I could notice a decline in output with the original LED, but after the SSC transplant, the output was very noticeably brighter.

I have some Nimh D's for my Quad-Cree, and I'm now wondering if using Nimhs with the DB-3W/SSC will keep it at a higher output for longer - I know that with the original LED it has a high initial output but then drops to almost half that within a few minutes and settles down there for the long haul. Is that initial drop mostly b/c of thermal issues (and the SSC is better at handling thermal issues right?) or b/c of alkalines being less able to handle the current draw?

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, I have a DB-1W as well, and I'm wondering if putting an SSC on there would be the same as putting an SSC on the DB-3W.

On another note, I have way to many mags now! 2D Quad Cree, 3D Mag SSC, 3D Mag DB-1W, and 2C Mag smjled pr.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
thats in a 3 cell right , does it get hot.. whats the draw current on it "ma"