Flashlight Enthusiast
Special Pressed American Meat

According to BBC News 24.

We've just paid the bill.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure of the post heading--but the news story:

Britain pays off WWII debt to US/Canada:

BRITAIN will finally settle its Second World War loan debt to America and Canada tomorrow. A £55million instalment completes the £4.8billion repaid since 1950. The loans of £2.8billion bankrolled the war effort and post-war reconstruction.

Economic Secretary to the Treasury, Ed Balls, said: "This week we honour in full our commitments to the US and Canada for the support they gave 60 years ago."

-Bill

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to the Food Channel, the word name SPAM comes from the words, Shoulder, Pork, and Ham. Apparently, it's made from pork shoulder and ham (pork thigh).

goldenlight

Enlightened
I was watching a History Channel documentary on WWII quite some time ago.

I remember that they specifically mentioned how grateful the Russian Army was to get USA Spam. Apparently, Russian ration were pretty horrible, and Spam was about the only meat (edible meat....) they got.

After one winter battle, a Russian General (Can't recall name....sorry) actually credited the supply of American Spam with making the Russian victory possible. You need lots of calories to fight in the winter, and despite what you might say about Spam, if you are close to starving, if far, far better than a lot of things you would eat to stave off starvation.

The USA supplied aid similar to England, but due to the Russian economy at the end of the war, only asked to be paid for supplies still 'in the pipeline (unused) at the end of the war. This was, IIRC, some 50 million dollars, a relative drop in the Russian aid bucket.

With the coming of the Cold War, payments ended long before even the largely forgiven debt was paid off.

Last, but not least. Most people forget who the real 'winner' in WWII was: it was the USA. No battle on our soil. Our economy, while carrying the war debt, had entered WWII still suffering under the Great Depression. After the war, the USA economy was booming. People had money to spend. The USA economy was the only one in the world to be healthy after WWII.

Some people remember, or have seen, the enormous numbers of 'starter' homes built just after WWII; made possible by payments to US soldiers. There was a neighborhood of them near where I grew up. Lots and lots of smallish 2 and 3 bedroom homes. With high housing costs, these homes are again very, very popular. Many I've seen have been added on to; double car garages, etc.

The list goes on.

Oh, and when I was growing up, we ate a LOT of Spam. Haven't had any in years..might have to pick up a can or two!

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
To this day, I still like SPAM. It's great as SPAMburgers on the grille....I just don't let anyone see me eating it.

Cliff

LEDMaster2003_V2

Newly Enlightened
I, too like Spam. Of course, I live in Austin, MN, home of Hormel and Spam. We even opened up the Spam Museum in '02 or so. Every year or so we have what's called Spam Jam. It's a big draw, attracting people from as far away as Fl. and Cal. and we get big-name acts too. Ex., last year the Smothers Bros. were here. We also have the Spamettes™, a female vocal group who are sort of a Spam-Weird Al. They take songs, the put Spam in it, ex:
Mr. Sandman ---> Mr. Spam man
Kokomo --------> Hormel Foods (to get a new can of Spam)
New York, NY ---> Canned Pork, Canned Pork

swampgator

Enlightened
goldenlight said:
Oh, and when I was growing up, we ate a LOT of Spam. Haven't had any in years..might have to pick up a can or two!

Never acquired the taste for SPAM. Of course it always gave me terrible indigestion, even as a child.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Did the French ever.....nevermind. I find it bearable if rendered to slightly-charred in a pan and drowned in ketchup.

Larry

swampgator

Enlightened
tvodrd said:
Did the French ever.....nevermind.

Nope, they never did.

carbine15 said:
always wondered what that clear goo was that topped each can.

I'm thinking that if you enjoy SPAM then you probably don't want to know what that is.

I just think of it as lube to help you choke it down.

sandbasser

Newly Enlightened
tvodrd said:
Did the French ever.....nevermind. I find it bearable if rendered to slightly-charred in a pan and drowned in ketchup.

Larry

What an awful thing to do to ketchup.:laughing:

Glock40

Newly Enlightened
I had this question in a trivia game not to long ago. The answer in the game was SPiced hAM.