That flashlight company..M***Light

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wandering around that company's website...I won't say the name, just in case...

Anyways, it came to me that, more than likely, the reason that the M-light's aren't improved or substantially redesigned (i.e. stipled reflector, Li-power, etc etc) is that if Mr. M. can't patent the design, he will not use the design. He has 81 patents registered, on just about everything flashlight related, and sues everybody (Brinkmann, Bison, Streamlight, etc) whom he thinks has infringed on his related patents.

I personally think he's stifling his own company's development...

Did you all see the legal-beagle info on the website, the agreement to "use" the website reads like a legal sourcebook...And, don't forget, if you submit any ideas, suggestions, new product designs, they become the property of Mr. M...

Don't use the M word, anymore...it may be dangerous...

--dan

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are the very reasons why I will never again buy a m**-lite. I also encourage everyone I know to never buy one. Selling lights is just a fund raiser to sue the competition.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've purchased about 30 assorted ""XagXites in the last year or so.

I'll never buy another.

Garrity, Rayovac and Coleman will be good enough for me for mod bases in the future.

Today walking through the WalMart flashlight section, I actually got a "someone walked on your grave" shiver when I saw the "xagXite" section.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really never thought about it, until certain events detailed elsewhere...The guy is a, well, better not say it...

--dan

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Well, what you guys are alluding to would certainly explain the size and shape of the light. Small .... syndrome?
smile.gif
Just a random thought.

JackBlades

Enlightened
IIRC, some years back our boy lost half or more of his company in a nasty divorce. They awarded his wife/partner something like $90 million. (He lived a couple miles from me at the time so it was hot local news)
Maybe the lawyers for the ex-spouse are in on this fiasco too?

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
I am glad to say that I never bought too many of "those lights" and have absolutely no need to buy any more of them. There are plenty of other nice lights out there from the cutting edge companies to save up for and buy one day. That is where my $$$ goes.
grin.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
So as I start to count my pennies for a badboy or madmax pill, what other flashlights will it fit into? The examples on Dat2Zip's page show one of the above talked about lights, but I might prefer an alternative.

What other lights do people use for those?

-James

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the Madmax and Badboy pills will also fit in a Brinkmann Legend.

axolotls

Enlightened
OK, I remember a TV Show about the divorce and the company. I try to stick to higher quality torches
wink.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Got this in response to email I sent:

Joe

The orange peel or faceted reflectors give a nice even light the problem is you
loose too much distance. We elected to go for distance rather than a pretty beam.

Don

---------- ORIGINAL MESSAGE ----------
TO: Mag Instrument, Inc. Web Site (www.magmail.com)
RECEIVED: 11/30/2002 10:08:28 AM EST

Among Flashlight freaks (termed Flashaholics) we find the Maglite line of flashlites
to be among the best built lighting devices out there.

I KNOW youve heard this before. If you would offer an orange peel or otherwise
faceted reflector option, we cant help but feel that C and D cell Mags would FLY
into the hands of we who are serious about light.

I mean no disrespect. I own 2 Solitaires, 1 Mini Mag 2AA, 1 2C, 2 2D, 1 3D, and 1 4D.

The C cells in particular would be fantastic with faceted reflectors!

Thank You!

Joe

As you can see there is a 'thumb up our nose' at us!!!

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Mintlights? yummy new candy - surely you guys came across it during Halloween!
wink.gif

Personally I quite like the Mags. Very solidly built even if it does has some quality issues, brightness can be a bit average but they make a good flashlight base for mods.